Backup and Restore of Failover Clusters
To process a cluster with Veeam Agent, you must complete the following tasks:
- In Veeam Backup & Replication, create a protection group that includes Active Directory objects and add to this protection group one of the following types of objects:
- Cluster account of the failover cluster whose data you want to back up
- Active Directory container that includes this cluster account
To learn more, see Creating Protection Groups.
- In Veeam Backup & Replication, configure a Veeam Agent backup job for a failover cluster. To add a failover cluster to the backup job, do the following:
- At the Job Mode step of the New Agent Backup Job wizard, select Failover cluster.
- At the Computers step of the wizard, add to the job the cluster account that you added to a protection group at the step 1. Alternatively, you can add to the job a container or protection group that includes this cluster account.
To learn more, see Creating Agent Backup Job for Windows Computers.
You can perform data restore tasks with failover cluster backups created by Veeam Agent. For example, you can restore entire volumes or individual folders and files from such backups.
Consider the following:
- When you restore data of a failover cluster, make sure that the cluster is added to the Veeam Backup & Replication inventory as part of a protection group.
- When you restore data of a clusters with shared disks, Veeam Agent does not restore data of a disk witness. During volume restore for shared disks of a cluster, the disk witness is not displayed at the Disk Mapping step of the Volume Restore wizard.
You can perform data copy tasks with failover cluster backups created by Veeam Agent to a secondary location.
When you copy failover cluster backups, consider the following:
- The network traffic will be higher compared to the traffic sent during the Veeam Agent backup job run.
- If you copy a failover cluster backup in the immediate mode, the job ignores the Use per-machine backup files option enabled for the backup repository and creates a single backup copy file for each cluster. If you copy a failover cluster backup in the periodic mode, the job will create backup copy files as set for the backup repository.
To learn more, see the Per-Machine Backup Files section in the Veeam Backup & Replication User Guide.
To learn more about backup copy, see the Backup Copy section in the Veeam Backup & Replication User Guide.