For automated discovery of protected computers, Veeam Backup & Replication uses the rescan job that runs on the backup server. Veeam Backup & Replication automatically creates this job once you create the first protection group in the inventory. The rescan job runs upon schedule defined for every protection group in the protection group settings. By default, Veeam Backup & Replication is set up to perform discovery at 9:00 PM daily. You can adjust daily schedule in the protection group settings or define periodic schedule.
The rescan job itself is not displayed in the Veeam Backup & Replication console. However, you can start and stop rescan job sessions manually for a specific protection group or individual computer in the inventory. This may be helpful, for example, if new computers appeared in your infrastructure, and you want to discover these computers without waiting for the next scheduled rescan job session start. To learn more, see Rescanning Protection Group and Rescanning Protected Computer.
You can view statistics for currently running and already performed rescan job sessions. To learn more, see Viewing Rescan Job Statistics.
How It Works
When the rescan job is started — either automatically upon schedule or manually — Veeam Backup & Replication performs the following operations:
- Obtains from the Veeam Backup & Replication database settings specified for the protection group. The settings include a list of computers to scan, an account for connecting to these computers, and so on.
- Connects to each computer in the list under the specified account.
- Deploys Veeam Installer Service on each newly discovered computer.
- If the automatic Veeam Agent deployment option is enabled in the protection group settings, Veeam Backup & Replication also deploys Veeam Agent on discovered computers. As a part of this process, Veeam Backup & Replication performs the following operations:
- Veeam Installer Service running on the computer collects information about the computer and sends it to Veeam Backup & Replication. The collected data includes details on the computer type, platform, host name, guest OS, IP address, MAC address, and information about Veeam Agent (its presence on the machine, product version and license installed).
- Veeam Backup & Replication uploads the Veeam Agent setup file from the distribution server to the discovered computer.
- Veeam Installer Service installs Veeam Agent on the target computer.
- Creating Protection Groups
- Rescanning Protection Group
- Rescanning Protected Computer
- Viewing Rescan Job Statistics