Failover Cluster Support
You can use Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows operating in the managed mode (within the Veeam Agent management scenario) to protect data processed by a failover cluster. Veeam Agent supports Windows Server Failover Clusters running on any of the supported Microsoft Windows Server OS versions. To learn the full list of versions, see System Requirements.
Veeam Agent supports data backup and restore for the following types of failover clusters:
- Windows File Server Failover Clusters
- Windows Server Failover Clusters that run the following applications:
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 SP4 or later
Keep in mind that SQL Server Failover Cluster Instances and AlwaysOn Availability Groups are supported only for Microsoft SQL Server 2012 or later. To learn about AlwaysOn Availability Groups, see Backup of AlwaysOn Availability Groups.
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 or later
Microsoft Exchange Database Availability Groups (DAGs) are supported. To learn more, see Backup of Database Availability Groups.
Failover cluster support in Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows has the following limitations:
- Backup of failover clusters is supported in Veeam Agent managed by Veeam Backup & Replication only. You cannot process a failover cluster by Veeam Agent operating in the standalone mode.
- Backup of CSV (Cluster Shared Volumes) is not supported. Cluster disks used as CSV are automatically excluded from backup.
- Active Directory-Detached Clusters are not supported.
- Backup of Storage Replica log volumes is not supported. Such volumes are automatically excluded from backup because of Microsoft VSS limitations. To learn more, see this Microsoft article.
- Backup of environments consisting of several failover clusters is not supported. For example:
- AlwaysOn Availability Groups based on SQL Server Failover Cluster Instances (FCIs). To learn more, see this Microsoft article.
- Distributed AlwaysOn Groups. To learn more, see this Microsoft article.
- AlwaysOn Availability Groups with no underlying failover cluster (Clusterless Availability Groups) are not supported.
- SureBackup of failover clusters is not supported.
Veeam Backup & Replication does not support simultaneous processing of Microsoft SQL Server transaction logs on SQL Server clustered instances with identical names. The limitation applies to clustered instances of different failover clusters as well.
For example, you configure two backup jobs that process transaction logs of different failover clusters whose SQL clustered instances have identical names. In case these backup jobs run simultaneously, transaction logs will be processed only by the backup job that started first. The second backup job will not process transaction logs.
In This Section
- Backup and Restore of Failover Clusters
- Backup of Database Availability Groups
- Backup of AlwaysOn Availability Groups