Before You Begin
Before you create a Veeam Agent backup policy in the Veeam Backup & Replication console, check the following prerequisites:
- The Veeam Backup & Replication license must have a sufficient number of instances to process servers and workstations that you plan to add to the Veeam Agent backup policy.
- The target location where you plan to store backup files must have enough free space.
- Protection groups that you want to add to the policy must be configured in advance.
- Protection groups that you want to add to the policy must be of the Computer with pre-installed agents type. Starting from Veeam Backup & Replication version 12.1, you can also add protection groups of the Individual computers and Computers from CSV file type. To learn more, see Protection Group Types.
Veeam Agent backup policies have the following limitations:
- After you start managing a Veeam Agent computer with Veeam Backup & Replication, data backup for this computer is performed by a backup job configured in Veeam Backup & Replication. Veeam Agent running on the computer starts a new backup chain on a target location specified in the backup policy settings. You cannot continue the existing backup chain that was created by Veeam Agent operating in the standalone mode.
- You cannot map a Veeam Agent backup policy configured in Veeam Backup & Replication to a Veeam Agent backup chain created by a standalone Veeam Agent on a backup repository.
- Veeam Backup & Replication does not immediately apply backup policy to computers included in protection groups for pre-installed Veeam Agents. Veeam Agents installed on computers that are included in these groups connect to Veeam Backup & Replication every 6 hours and get updated backup policy settings. If you targeted a backup policy at the Veeam backup server and scheduled it earlier than the next connection to Veeam Backup & Replication, this backup policy will be updated on the Veeam Agent computer at the next start of the backup session. To learn more about protection groups for pre-installed Veeam Agents, see Protection Group Types.
Keep in mind, that you can immediately update settings of the backup policy from the Veeam Agent computer. To learn more, see Deploying Veeam Agent for Unix.