Booting from Veeam Recovery Media
To boot your machine from Veeam Recovery Media:
- Attach the media with the recovery image to your machine:
- [For CD/DVD/BD] Insert the media with the recovery image into the machine drive.
- [For removable storage device] Attach the removable storage device with the recovery image to the machine.
- [For virtual drives/devices] Mount CD/DVD drive or removable storage device with the recovery image to the virtual machine.
- Set the device that contains the recovery image as the primary boot source on the machine.
- Boot the machine.
- Wait for Veeam Agent to load files from Veeam Recovery Media.
When the machine boots, the system automatically configures network interfaces using DHCP. In case DHCP server is not available, you can configure network settings manually. For details, see Configure Network Settings. For more information on configuring network settings using command line, see IBM AIX documentation.
- As the OS boots, you will be asked to define the system console. Type 1 and press Enter to select the current terminal.
- After the recovery image OS has loaded, choose whether you want to start the SSH server. The SSH server allows you to connect to the Veeam Recovery Media from a remote machine.
The Veeam Recovery Media starts the SSH server automatically after a time-out. The default value for the time-out is 10 seconds.
If you do not want to start the SSH server, make sure that the Skip starting SSH server button is selected and press Enter.
- After the SSH server has started, review settings to connect to the Veeam Recovery Media and press Enter.
The Veeam Recovery Media displays the following connection settings:
- IP address of the machine booted from the Veeam Recovery Media
- User name and password of the account for connecting to the Veeam Recovery Media
- Fingerprints of the machine booted from the Veeam Recovery Media
- Accept the terms of the product license agreement and license agreements for third-party components of the product:
- Make sure that the I accept Veeam End User Software License Agreement option is selected and press Space.
- Select the I accept the terms of the following 3rd party software components license agreements option with the Tab key and press Space.
- Switch to the Continue button with the Tab key and press Enter.
The main menu of Veeam Recovery Media offers the following options:
- Restore the entire machine — launches the Veeam Recovery wizard to perform bare-metal recovery. For details, see Restoring Data with Recovery Wizard.
- Restore files — launches the File-Level Restore wizard to restore additional data. For details, see Restore Additional Files.
- Settings — contains two options:
- Configure network — allows you to verify the network settings have been configured correctly or to configure network adapter manually. To learn more, see Configure Network Settings.
- Restore method — allows you to select the restore algorithm for bare-metal recovery. To learn more, see Select Restore Method.
- Stop SSH / Start SSH — allows you stop or start the SSH server.
- Exit to shell — launches Command Line Interface. Select this option if you want to run bare-metal recovery using Veeam Agent commands in the terminal.
- Reboot — restarts the machine. Select this option to finish working with Veeam Recovery Media.
- Shutdown — powers off the machine.
If you exit the Veeam Recovery Media menu, you can return to it any time by running this command in the terminal: veeamconfig recoveryui.
In the Veeam Recovery Media wizard, the use of mouse is not supported. To navigate the wizard and associated dialog windows, you can use the following keys:
- Tab — to switch between displayed controls in the working area and buttons in the buttons area. The currently selected control or button is highlighted with green color.
- Up and Down — to switch between items in a scrollable list.
- Space — to select the necessary item in a list. The selected item's mark may vary in different steps of the wizard.
- Enter — to proceed to the next step of the wizard or to open a directory.
- Escape — to return to the previous step of the wizard or to exit the wizard if you are in the main menu.