SP Veeam Backup Server
The Veeam Cloud Connect infrastructure is organized around the Veeam backup server running on the SP side. The SP Veeam backup server is a configuration and control center of the Veeam Cloud Connect infrastructure. The SP uses the Veeam backup server to set up the Veeam Cloud Connect infrastructure and deliver Backup as a Service and Disaster Recovery as a Service to tenants.
The SP Veeam backup server runs the Veeam Cloud Connect Service — a Microsoft Windows service that is responsible for the following operations:
- Providing tenants with access to cloud repositories and cloud hosts
- Controlling transport services that work with tenant cloud repositories and cloud hosts
- Communicating with the Veeam Backup & Replication database
The Veeam Cloud Connect Service is deployed on every Veeam backup server. However, Veeam Backup & Replication uses this service only for work with Veeam Cloud Connect infrastructure components.
The SP must not stop or disable other Veeam Backup & Replication services running on the SP backup server. For example, in case the SP does not use the Continuous Data Protection (CDP) functionality, the Veeam CDP Coordinator Service must still run on the backup server.
If the SP uses Veeam Service Provider Console and wants to use multi-factor authentication (MFA) on the SP backup server, they must set up a service account in Veeam Backup & Replication. For details, see this Veeam KB article.
To learn more about MFA support in Veeam Backup & Replication, see the Multi-Factor Authentication section in the Veeam Backup & Replication User Guide.
Limitations for SP Veeam Backup Server
The SP Veeam backup server is intended to be used exclusively for configuring Veeam Cloud Connect infrastructure and providing cloud resources to tenants. The SP cannot perform the following operations on the SP Veeam backup server:
- Perform restore tasks with tenant backups other than the Instant Recovery operation. For example, the SP should not import tenant backups in the SP Veeam backup console to restore data from these backups. To perform such data restore tasks, the SP must deploy a separate backup server in its backup infrastructure. The SP can use its existing Veeam Cloud Connect license on this backup server.
- Add itself as an SP in the Veeam Backup & Replication console, for example, to address specific scenarios that were supported in previous versions of Veeam Backup & Replication. For such scenarios, the SP must deploy a separate backup server in its backup infrastructure. The SP can use their existing Veeam Cloud Connect license on this backup server.
- Run backup, backup copy or replication jobs, for example, to back up VMs in the SP virtual environment. To create and run jobs, the SP must deploy a separate backup server (and other Veeam Backup & Replication components) and also obtain a separate license key and install it on this backup server.
If the SP used such scenario with a previous version of Veeam Backup & Replication, they should follow the SP Veeam backup server split procedure. To learn more, see this Veeam KB article.
Usage of the same Veeam backup server to provide Veeam Cloud Connect services and to run backup, backup copy and replication jobs is supported only for Veeam Cloud Connect for the Enterprise. For more information, see this Veeam webpage.