Within the Veeam Cloud Connect Replication to vCloud Director scenario, the SP and tenant perform the following tasks.
Tasks on SP Side
To let the tenant create VM replicas on a cloud host that uses vCloud Director resources as a back end, the SP must complete the following steps:
- Configure replication target resources in vCloud Director:
- Create a vCloud Director Organization.
- Create a user account with administrative rights in the Organization. The tenant will use credentials of this account connect to the SP. To learn more, see vCloud Director Tenant Account.
- Create one or more Organization vDCs that will be used as cloud hosts for tenant VM replicas.
- Configure an NSX Edge gateway and/or IPsec VPN connection to enable network access to tenant VM replicas.
An NSX Edge gateway provides network access to VM replicas in vCloud Director after partial site failover and full site failover.
An IPsec VPN connection may be used to provide network access to tenant VM replicas after partial site failover. Alternatively, the SP can choose to use the network extension appliance for partial site failover.
To learn more, see Network Resources for vCloud Director Replicas.
For information about how to perform these tasks, refer to the VMware vCloud Director documentation.
The SP must disable VM discovery in VMware vCloud Director that is used to allocate replication resources for tenants.
- Configure Veeam Cloud Connect infrastructure in Veeam Backup & Replication:
- Deploy the SP backup server. For details, see Deploying SP Veeam Backup Server.
- Set up a TLS certificate. For details, see Managing TLS Certificates.
- Deploy one or more cloud gateways or cloud gateway pools. For details, see Adding Cloud Gateways and Configuring Cloud Gateway Pools.
- Add the vCloud Director server to the backup infrastructure on the SP backup server. For details, see the Adding VMware vCloud Director section in the Veeam Backup & Replication User Guide.
- Create vCloud Director tenant account and assign to this tenant account replication resources that use Organization vDC as a back end. For details, see Configuring vCloud Director Tenant Account.
Steps a–c are not required if the SP already uses Veeam Backup & Replication to provide cloud services to tenants, and the Veeam Cloud Connect infrastructure is set up on the SP side.
Tasks on Tenant Side
To work with VM replicas on a cloud host that uses vCloud Director resources as a back end, the tenant must complete the following steps:
- Set up the Veeam Cloud Connect infrastructure. To learn more, see Deploying Tenant Veeam Backup Server and Connecting Source Virtualization Hosts.
This step is not required if the Veeam Cloud Connect infrastructure is already configured on the tenant side.
- Add the SP in the tenant Veeam backup console using credentials of the vCD Organization Administrator account. For details, see Connecting to Service Providers.
- Create a replication job targeted at a cloud host that uses an Organization vDC as a back end. For details, see Creating Replication Jobs.
- In case one or more VMs in the production site become unavailable, the tenant can perform failover tasks with VM replicas on the cloud host. To learn more, see Performing Full Site Failover and Performing Partial Site Failover.