To increase the speed and efficiency of incremental backups of managed servers, you might need to install the CBT driver. The driver is installed on every server machine protected with Veeam backup agent.
The CBT driver keeps track of data blocks that changed since the latest backup session. Information about changed data blocks is registered, and when a backup job runs, Veeam backup agent uses this information to find out what data blocks have changed since the last run of the job, and then copies only changed data blocks from the disk.
You can install the CBT driver on managed computers that meet all of the following requirements:
To perform this task, a user must have one of the following roles assigned: Company Owner, Company Administrator.
Installing CBT Driver
To install the CBT driver for one or more Veeam backup agents:
- Log in to Veeam Availability Console as a Portal Administrator.
For more details, see Accessing Veeam Availability Console.
- In the menu on the left, click Discovery.
- Open the Backup Agents tab.
- Click Filter. In the Operation mode section, select the Servers check box only. Click Apply.
The list of discovered computers will display Veeam backup agents running in the Server operation mode.
- Select one or more Veeam backup agents in the list.
- At the top of the list, click Backup Agent and choose Install CBT Driver.
- Check the value in the CBT Driver column.
When installation completes, it must display Installed (Reboot required) status.
- Reboot computers on which you installed the CBT driver.
You can reboot the remote computer in Veeam Availability Console, as described in Rebooting Remote Computers.