To specify storage settings for the backup job:
- In the Advanced Settings window, select the Storage tab.
- In the Compression level field, select a compression level for the backup: None, Dedupe-friendly, Optimal, High or Extreme. For more information on compression levels, see Data Compression.
- In the Storage optimization field, select what type of backup target you plan to use: Local, LAN or WAN. Depending on the chosen storage type, Veeam Agent will use data blocks of different size to optimize the size of backup files and job performance. For more information on storage optimization, see Data Compression.
- If you want to encrypt the content of backup files, in the Encryption section, specify encryption settings for the backup job:
- Select the Enable backup file encryption check box.
- In the Password field, type a password that you want to use for encryption.
- In the Hint field, type a hint for the password. In case you lose the password, the specified hint will help you to remember the lost password.
Consider the following:
- You cannot specify encryption options for the backup job if you have chosen to save backup files on a Veeam backup repository. Encryption of Veeam Agent backups stored on the backup repository are managed per repository by a backup administrator working with Veeam Backup & Replication. To learn more, see the Data Encryption and Access Permissions sections in the Veeam Backup & Replication User Guide.
- If you lose a password that was specified for encryption, you can change the password in the encryption settings. After the backup job creates a new restore point encrypted with the new password, you will be able to use this password to restore data form all restore points in the backup chain, including those restore points that were encrypted with an old password.
- If you enable encryption for the existing backup job that has already created one or more restore points, during the next job session, Veeam Agent will create active full backup. The created full backup file and subsequent incremental backup files in the backup chain will be encrypted with the specified password.
- Encryption is not retroactive. If you enable encryption for the existing backup job, Veeam Agent does not encrypt the previous backup chain created with this job.