To protect your computer from a disaster of any kind, you must perform the following operations in Veeam Backup & Replication and Veeam Agent for Mac:
- Create a protection group for pre-installed Veeam Agents using Veeam Backup & Replication.
During the protection group configuration process, the following setup files are generated:
- 2 Veeam Agent for Mac packages
You will need to select the package depending on the macOS version installed on your Mac computer. To learn more, see Installing Veeam Agent.
- 2 configuration files
You will need to select the configuration file depending on the way how you plan to connect your Mac computer to Veeam backup server. To learn more, see Importing Connection Settings.
- The readme file with installation instructions
To learn more about protection groups for pre-installed Veeam Agents, see the Protection Group Types section in Agent Management Guide.
- Using external tools, transfer the Veeam Agent setup files to the Mac computer you want to protect.
- Install and connect Veeam Agent to Veeam backup server with a configuration file.
To learn more, see Installation and Configuration.
- Define what data you want to back up and configure a backup policy using Veeam Backup & Replication.
Before you configure the backup policy, you should decide on the following backup details:
- Backup destination: where you want to store your backed-up data.
- Backup scope: all user profiles or individual folders and files.
- Backup schedule: how often you want to back up your data.
After that, you can configure one or several backup policies. The backup policy captures the data that you have added to the backup scope and creates a chain of restore points in the target location. If your data gets lost or corrupted, you can restore it from the necessary restore point.
You can configure the backup policy with the Backup Job wizard on the Veeam Backup & Replication side. To learn more, see the Creating Agent Backup Policy for Mac Computers section in the Veeam Agent Management Guide.
- Create a backup job.
To create a backup job on the Veeam Agent computer, you must apply the backup policy to the Veeam Agent computer. To learn more, see the Applying Backup Policy to Protected Computers section in the Veeam Agent Management Guide.
Veeam Agent installed on the computer included in a protection group for pre-installed Veeam Agents connects to Veeam Backup & Replication every 6 hours and gets updated backup policy settings. Using these backup policy settings, Veeam Agent creates a backup job.
Alternatively, you can configure a backup job manually with the command line interface. In this case, Veeam Agent for Mac functions in the standalone mode and does not require connection to Veeam Backup & Replication.
- Start the backup job.
You can set the backup policy to start automatically according to the defined schedule or start the backup policy manually from your Mac computer. To learn more, see Starting Backup Policies.
- Monitor backup task performance using Veeam Backup & Replication.
You can use the Veeam Backup & Replication to check how backup tasks are being performed, what errors have occurred during backup policy sessions and so on.
- In case of a disaster, you can restore your data. You can perform data recovery operations in several ways:
- You can restore all user profiles.
- You can restore individual files and folders.
To learn more, see Performing Restore.