Step 3. Select Authentication Method
At this step of the wizard, select either modern or basic authentication and specify authentication settings.
To use modern authentication, do the following:
- From the Specify authentication method drop-down list, select Modern authentication.
This will allow Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 to use an Azure AD application for data restore. Such an application is used to restore the specified mailbox back to Microsoft 365 organizations with enabled multi-factor authentication (MFA) and enabled or disabled security defaults. For more information, see the Microsoft 365 Organizations section of the Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 User Guide.
- From the Region drop-down list, select a region to which your Exchange Online organization belongs.
- In the Organization name field, enter a name of your Exchange Online organization.
Make sure that the organization name matches the name specified at the previous step of the wizard.
- In the Application ID field, enter an identification number of the Azure AD application that you want to use for data restore.
By default, Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Exchange populates this field with an identification number of the application that was used during a backup session. If you want to use another application, make sure to grant this application required permissions. For more information, see the Azure AD Application Permissions section of the Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 User Guide.
To use basic authentication, do the following:
- From the Specify authentication method drop-down list, select Basic authentication.
- Enter credentials to connect to the Exchange organization.
Make sure that the account that you use has both the Exchange Administrator and the Global Administrator roles.