This section lists system requirements for Veeam Explorer for Microsoft SQL Server.
Microsoft SQL Server
For more information on supported versions of Microsoft SQL servers, see the Supported Applications subsection of the Veeam Backup & Replication User Guide.
AlwaysOn Availability Groups are supported for Microsoft SQL Server 2012 and higher.
Consider the following:
- By default, the AUTO_CLOSE option for SQL server databases is set to False.
If AUTO_CLOSE is enabled, your databases might be skipped from processing.
- To restore database items from a SQL server VM that is running Microsoft Windows ReFS, the Veeam backup server or a management console must be installed on Microsoft Windows Server 2012 or higher.
- To restore data from a server that is running Microsoft Windows ReFS 3.x, the Veeam backup server or a management console must be installed on Microsoft Windows Server 2016.
- Nodes participating in AlwaysOn Availability Groups are supported. However, using Availability Group Listeners as staging servers is not recommended.
Consider the following requirements for a staging server:
- Ensure that the staging SQL server has the same or later version as the original SQL Server.
- The SQL server included in Microsoft SQL Server Failover Cluster cannot be used as a staging system.
- Consider domain trusts configuration when planning to add databases to the Veeam Explorer scope manually.
You can use the Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express edition that is shipped with Veeam Backup & Replication as a staging system (a default staging server). You can also use another SQL server instance, either local or remote as a staging system.
Databases that exceed 10 GB cannot be attached to the Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express SQL server due to Express Edition limitations. See Features Supported by the Editions of SQL Server 2012.