Specifying Daily Schedule
To create a daily schedule for the backup policy, at the Schedule step of the wizard, do the following:
- Set the Daily retention toggle to On and click Edit daily settings.
- In the Daily schedule window, select hours when the backup policy must create cloud-native snapshots and image-level backups.
If you want to protect Azure VM data more frequently, you can instruct the backup policy to create multiple cloud-native snapshots per hour. To do that, click the link to the right of the Snapshots hour selection area, and specify the number of cloud-native snapshots that the backup policy must create within an hour.
Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure does not create image-level backups independently from cloud-native snapshots. That is why when you select hours for image-level backups, the same hours are automatically selected for cloud-native snapshots. To learn how Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure performs backup, see How Backup Works.
- Use the Run at drop-down list to choose whether you want the backup policy to run everyday, on working days (Monday through Friday) or on selected days.
- In the Daily retention section, configure retention policy settings for the daily schedule:
- For cloud-native snapshots, specify the number of restore points that you want to keep in a snapshot chain.
If the restore point limit is exceeded, Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure removes the earliest restore point from the chain. For more information, see Retention Policy for Snapshots.
- For image-level backups, specify the number of days (or months) for which you want to keep restore points in a backup chain.
If a restore point is older than the specified time limit, Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure removes the restore point from the chain. For more information, see Retention Policy for Backups.
- In the Repository section, select a backup repository where the created image-level backups must be stored. For a backup repository to be displayed, it must be created as described in Adding Backup Repositories section.
- To save changes made to the backup policy settings, click Apply.
To allow the CBT mechanism to be used when processing Azure VM data by the backup policy, the number of snapshots to keep in a snapshot chain must be enough to ensure that the first cloud-native snapshot has not been removed from the chain by the retention policy before an incremental backup session runs.
Consider the following example. You want a backup policy to daily create both image-level backups and cloud-native snapshots: cloud-native snapshots must be created at 7:00 AM, 9:00 AM, 11:00 AM 1:00 PM, 3:00 PM and 5:00 PM; image-level backups must be created at 7:00 AM and 5:00 PM. In this case, you must set the Snapshots to keep value to 5. Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure will run the backup policy the following way:
- At 7:00 AM, a backup session will create a cloud-native snapshot, and then use this snapshot to create a full image-level backup.
- From 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM, backup sessions will create only cloud-native snapshots.
- After a backup session runs at 5:00 PM, the first cloud-native snapshot will be still present in the snapshot chain and can be further used to create an incremental backup.