Performing Shapshot-Based Configuration Backup
You can instruct Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure to automatically create snapshots of the backup appliance. You can then use these snapshots to restore the entire backup appliance to another Azure VM, as described in this Veeam KB article.
To configure the auto-backup settings, do the following:
- Switch to the Configuration page.
- Navigate to Settings > Configuration Backup.
- Switch to the Snapshot-Based tab.
- Set the Enable snapshot backup toggle to On.
- In the Configure the snapshot settings and schedule section, do the following:
- In the Restore points to keep field, specify the number of snapshots that you want to keep in the snapshot chain.
If the snapshot limit is exceeded, Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure removes the earliest snapshot from the chain. For more information, see Retention Policy for Snapshots.
- In the Schedule section, choose whether you want to create snapshots daily, monthly or periodically:
- Select the Daily at this time option if you want Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure to create snapshots once a day on defined days. You can choose whether snapshots must be created every day, on work days (Monday through Friday) or on specific days.
- Select the Monthly at this time option if you want Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure to create snapshots once a month on a defined day.
- Select the Periodically every option if you want Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure to create snapshots repeatedly throughout a day with a specific time interval. You can choose whether snapshots must be created every several hours or minutes. You can also instruct Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure to create snapshots continuously, one after another.
If you choose to create snapshots once every several hours, you can also specify a time shift to postpone the snapshot creation by a defined amount of time (in minutes) in the specified interval. To do that, use the Start time within an hour field.
- Click Save.