You can configure an auto-backup to create snapshots of a VM that hosts the Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure solution.
For more information on how to restore a VM with the Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure solution from a backup, see this Veeam Knowledge Base article.
To configure an auto-backup, do the following:
- In the System Menu, click Configuration.
- In the inventory pane, in the Server Settings section, select Settings.
- Open the System tab.
- Enable the Enable Auto-Backup toggle.
- Click Customize settings to configure a schedule according to which new snapshots must be created. The Self-Backup Settings window appears.
- In the Self-Backup Settings window, in the Number of restore points field, specify the number of restore points that Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure must keep.
- In the Self-Backup Settings window, in the Schedule section, configure a schedule to create snapshots automatically at the specified time:
- Daily at this time. Select this option and specify at what time and on which day to create snapshots.
To select days on which creation of new snapshots is allowed or prohibited, click Days on the right-hand side and in the Select Days window, select/deselect days you need.
- Monthly at this time. Select this option and specify the time and the sequence of days on which to create snapshots. For example, you may want to create new snapshots only on the third Wednesday.
To select months on which creation of new snapshots is allowed or prohibited, click Months on the right-hand side and in the Select Months window, select\deselect months you need.
- Periodically every. Select this option and set the frequency as required.
To configure a schedule, click Schedule on the right-hand side. For more information, see Configuring Schedule.
To restore default settings, in the lower-left corner, click Reset To Defaults.
To configure a custom schedule according to which Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure must back up the host server, in the Select Time Periods window, do the following:
- Set up the Permitted execution time frame within which it is allowed to create snapshots.
- Set up the Denied execution time frame within which it is prohibited to create snapshots.
The main area of the Select Time Periods window is divided into two axes:
- The vertical axis represents days of the week from Sunday to Saturday.
- The horizontal axis represents time intervals from 00:00 AM to 23:59 PM.
Within these axes, Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure shows a matrix that consists of blocks. Each block represents a 59 minutes interval for each day of the week. The total number of blocks is 168 (24 blocks per each day of the week).
To set up an execution frame for the backup policy, do the following:
- Select a block that corresponds to the day of the week (vertical axis) and to the time interval (horizontal axis) on which you want to allow or prohibit the execution of a backup job.
In addition, you can:
- Select multiple blocks simultaneously by clicking and holding the mouse pointer on the first block and dragging it until the last one that you want to use, including different days of the week.
- Click a day of the week in the vertical axis to select all the blocks of the day thereof.
- Click All in the vertical axis to select all the blocks of the entire week.
- At the bottom, select either the Permitted or Denied option to set the execution rule for the selected blocks.
To prohibit creation of backups altogether, click Deny All. To allow creation of backups without any limitations, click Permit All.
- (Optional) In the Start time within an hour field, specify the offset value for allowed hours.
For example, if you have permitted your backup policy to be executed starting from 00:00 and up to 01:00 and set the offset value to 25, that would mean that the permitted hours are now shifted forward, and the backup policy can only be run starting from 0:25 and up to 01:25.
The following is an example in which it is prohibited to create snapshots on the following days of the week:
- Monday from 03:00 AM up until 09:59 AM.
- Thursday from 14:00 PM up until 21:59 PM.