Creating Azure SQL Backup Policies
You can protect only Azure SQL Databases running on SQL Servers and databases located on SQL Managed Instances by Azure SQL backup policies. If you want to protect a database hosted by a SQL Server on Azure VM, you must use Azure VM backup policy. However, you will not be able to restore a single database without restoring the entire VM.
To create a backup policy, do the following:
- Launch the Add Policy wizard.
- Specify a backup policy name and description.
- Configure backup source settings.
- Configure processing options.
- Create a schedule for the backup policy.
- Review the estimated cost of protecting the selected Azure SQL databases.
- Specify automatic retry settings and notification settings for the backup policy.
- Finish working with the wizard.