If you already have Veeam Backup & Replication and Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager installed, you can use Veeam indexing capabilities to facilitate file browsing and search features:
- Enable guest file system indexing on the Guest Processing step of the backup job wizard. For more information, see Configure Guest Processing Settings.
- Run the backup job with guest file system indexing enabled.
- Perform catalog replication. For more information, see Performing Catalog Replication and Indexing.
Alternatively, you can process the machine without guest file system indexing. Veeam Backup & Replication supports file-level restore not only for machines included in guest catalog, but also for those that were not indexed - for example, if indexing was disabled at restore point creation time, or if indexing operation failed. For such a machine, its selected restore point will be mounted to:
- A corresponding Veeam backup server (the one that manages the job processing this machine) - for Windows machines.
- A Linux appliance - for Linux machines.
Then a user will be able to locate the necessary file(s) or folder(s) and perform restore operation. For more information, see Browsing Machine Backups for Guest OS Files.
And, optionally, you can install and add a search server, as described in the Appendix B.
In This Section