Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager incorporates the following services and components:
- Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager Service coordinates all operations performed by Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager such as backup, replication, recovery verification and restore tasks. The Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager Service runs under the Local System account or an account that has the Local Administrator permissions on the backup server. This service is installed and started automatically on the local Windows server.
- VeeamBackup and VeeamBackup site (IIS extension) application pools are created and displayed in IIS Manager. These web applications are deployed on the local IIS web server.
- Web interfaces used to access Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager from different infrastructures:
- Main web interface is used to access main web UI of Enterprise Manager using the default URL.
- Veeam Self-Service File Restore Portal that allows administrators to restore files or folders from the guest OS of a virtual or physical machine.
- Veeam Self-Service Backup Portal that provides vCloud Director organization administrators with a UI for self-service operations on machine protection.
- VMware vSphere Self-Service Portal that provides Service Providers with a UI for managing customers access permissions and vSphere quotas.
Veeam Self-Service File Restore Portal, Veeam Self-Service Backup Portal and VMware vSphere Self-Service Portal functions are available in the Enterprise Plus Edition of Veeam Backup & Replication.
- SQL Server database is used to store configuration and performance data. For more information, see Deployment.
- Veeam Backup Catalog is used for guest OS file indexing, index data retention and its synchronization with the information on a Veeam backup server. It comprises a Windows service named Veeam Guest Catalog also installed on the Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager host server. For more information, see Understanding Veeam Backup Catalog.
- Veeam Backup Search is an optional component used for guest OS file indexing of protected machines. This component is included in the installation package to provide backward compatibility with older existing deployments. For a new deployment, there is no need to install Veeam Backup Search, since all operations related to guest OS file indexing and search of the protected machines will be performed by Veeam's proprietary built-in indexing engine. For more information see Veeam Backup Search System Requirements.
- Veeam Cloud Connect Portal is an optional component that comprises the Veeam Cloud Connect Portal web site (IIS extension) and UI. It is intended for the tenants of Service Providers. For more information, see the Veeam Cloud Connect Guide.
- Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager RESTful API lets developers communicate with Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager to query information about Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager objects and perform basic operations with them using HTTP and HTTPS protocols and the principles of REST. For more information, see the Veeam Backup and Replication RESTful API Reference Guide.
- Veeam VMware vSphere Web Client plug-in allows vSphere administrators to manage backup infrastructure in the organization. For more information, see the Controlling Backup Infrastructure with vSphere Web Client Plug-in.