When an encrypted backup file or tape media is imported to the Veeam backup server, a password is required to decrypt data. In some cases, however, a password can be lost or forgotten. Veeam Backup & Replication offers a way to restore data from encrypted backups or tapes even if a password is not available. For that, Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager Administrator runs the Password Recovery wizard within the following context:
- As a Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager Administrator, you receive a request for password restore, for example, via email.
- Then you start the Password Recovery wizard by clicking the Password Recovery button in Configuration > Key Management, and insert the text of the request to the wizard.
- Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager finds a matching public backup server key in Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager database and decrypts the signature with this key.
- The wizard decrypts storage keys with the private Enterprise Manager key available on Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager, and generates a response. The response represents a text document and contains decrypted storage keys. Consider that the response is also encrypted and can be used only on the Veeam backup server where the request was issued.
- Then you can send the response back to requester, for example, via email. The requester will input this response to the Enterprise Keys Restore wizard on the Veeam backup server where the request was issued; Veeam Backup & Replication will process the response, retrieve the decrypted storage keys and use them to unlock encrypted backups or tapes and retrieve their content.
In case your organization encrypts configuration backups of a Veeam backup server, and you want to be able to serve password restore request for these backups, ensure the original Veeam backup server and its public key (used for configuration backup encryption) are present on the Enterprise Manager server by the moment you receive such a request. Consider the following:
For details on Enterprise Manager keysets, encryption passwords and password restore, see the Data Encryption section of the Veeam Backup & Replication User Guide.