Searching Guest OS Files in Machine Backups
Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager allows you to search for guest OS files in all machine backups created by managed backup servers with guest indexing enabled.
By default, backup repository is the primary destination for the search. This means, in particular, that if a backup (with indexed guest) is stored in both locations — repository and tape — then Enterprise Manager search results will only include files from backup stored in repository. Files from tape-archived backup will appear in search results only if not found in the repository. (This capability is supported in the Enterprise and Enterprise Plus editions.)
You can use one of two available search modes: simple or advanced.
The simple search allows you to search for guest OS files in the latest restore point of the selected machine backup. To perform simple search:
- Open the Files tab.
- In the Search backups of field, enter the name of a machine whose files you want to restore or click the Pick from List link and select the necessary machine in the Select Object window.
- In the search field, enter the name of the necessary file or a part of it and click Search.
The advanced search allows you to search for guest OS files in all restore points of the selected machine backup and filter search results by certain criteria. To perform advanced search:
- Open the Files tab and click No Filter next to the search field.
- In the search field, enter the name of the necessary file or a part of it.
- In the Set Options window, define the necessary search criteria:
- Location — select a specific folder on the machine to search in.
- Last modification time — specify approximate time when the file was last modified or set a time interval.
- Backup time — choose to search through the latest backup of the specified machine or all backups of the machine created within a certain time interval.
- Owner — select to search for files with a specific owner.
- Type — select to search for files of specific type or with a certain extension.
- Size — specify approximate size of file or set a size range.
- To apply the filter, click Apply.
- Click Search on the right of the search field.