In addition to security settings for the management website, you need to configure security settings for every Veeam backup server added to Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager. Security settings for Veeam backup servers are used to authenticate user administrative rights for three operations: collecting data from backup servers, managing backup and replication jobs and restoring files. To perform these tasks, Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager interacts with a Veeam backup server using one of the following accounts:
- The account specified when adding a Veeam backup server (see Adding Veeam Backup Servers) - this is the default method.
- The account under which the Veeam Enterprise Manager Service runs - this method is used, for example, if you have upgraded your Enterprise Manager (with backup servers connections preserved).
To be able to retrieve data from a Veeam backup server, manage backup and replication jobs and restore files, you need to include the account used to interact with the backup server into the Veeam Backup Administrators group on the backup server side. Alternatively, you can include the account into the local Administrators group on the backup server; in this case, the Veeam Backup Administrator role will be assigned to the account automatically.
On the Veeam backup server side, all operations are performed by Veeam Backup Service that verifies beforehand if the account that is used to interact with the backup server has rights to accomplish the necessary actions.
To specify security settings on the backup server side:
- Log on to the necessary Veeam backup server as Veeam Backup Administrator.
- Select Users and Roles from the main menu of Veeam Backup & Replication.
- Click Add.
- In the User name field, specify the account that Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager will use to interact with this backup server. Enter the name of a user or group in the DOMAIN\Username format.
- From the Role list, select the Veeam Backup Administrator role.
To edit settings of an added user or group, select it in the list of roles and click Edit on the right. Then edit user or group settings as required.
To delete an added user or group, select it in the list and click Remove on the right.