Using Jobs tab of the Self-Service Backup Portal, you can perform the following operations with vCloud Director backup jobs:
- Create a new vCloud Director backup job
- Start, stop or retry a job
- Disable or enable a job
- Edit job settings
To create a new vCloud Director backup job:
- Go to the Jobs tab of the Self-Service Backup Portal and click Create.
- Specify job name, description and retention settings, that is, how many restore points should be stored in repository for future restores.
For more information, see the Retention Policy section of the User Guide.
- Add vApps and/or VMs from the vCloud Director organization to the job.
- Follow the wizard steps to configure other settings available to you (guest processing, schedule, notifications on job completion). These steps are described in detail the corresponding sections of the Enterprise Manager User Guide and in the Veeam Backup & Replication User Guide.
When specifying guest OS access credentials, consider that vCloud Director organization administrators can access guest processing credentials available for their organizations; they can also supply new credentials for guest OS processing, as described here.
When you add new tenants as Self-Service Backup Portal users they cannot see the jobs that were created earlier for their vCloud organization. To view these jobs, these tenants can map their organization jobs using a PowerShell command.
For more information, see the Set-VBRvCloudOrganizationJobMapping section of the Veeam Backup & Replication PowerShell Reference.
You can map only jobs of your own organization.
Remaining settings (repository, processing mode, etc.) will be obtained from the repository and from the job template assigned by Enterprise Manager administrator to this vCloud Director organization.
The jobs you create will be shown in Veeam backup management console under the Jobs node, having the <vCloud Director_org_name> prefix.
Other job management actions are performed as described in the procedures for the standard Enterprise Manager UI:
To delete a job, select it on the Jobs tab and then on the toolbar click Job > Delete. After deletion, this job will be removed from configuration and no longer appear in web portal and in Veeam backup management console.
Considerations and Limitations
- Job cloning is not available.
- The following limitations apply to scenario involving VM backup and subsequent restore via Self-Service Backup Portal:
- You create a backup job that will process a VM added explicitly (that is, not as a part of a vApp container).
- This job runs, creating a number of restore points.
- Then you restore this VM to the original location via Self-Service Backup Portal.
After restore, the VM identifier changes in vCloud Director hierarchy. Due to this reason, the backup job cannot locate this VM any longer. So, you need to edit job settings, adding this VM anew. To ensure that job configuration will store this VM with the new metadata (not the old one from vCloud Director hierarchy cache), you should first click Refresh in the Add Objects dialog.
- At the next job run, a new full backup will be created for this VM. However, if you try to perform file-level restore via the Self-Service Backup Portal from the restore points created initially for that VM (on step 2), the restore operation will fail, as that VM identifier does not exist any longer.