Veeam Backup Catalog feature comprises a Windows service responsible for guest OS file indexing. Guest file indexing facilitates search for machine guest OS files inside machine's backups. This Windows service is named Veeam Guest Catalog service and runs on two servers in the backup infrastructure: Veeam backup server and Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager.
- Veeam Guest Catalog on the Veeam backup server works as a local catalog service. It collects indexing data for backup jobs on this specific Veeam backup server and stores this data locally in the Veeam Backup Catalog folder.
- Veeam Guest Catalog on Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager works as a global, federal catalog service. It communicates with Veeam Guest Catalog services on Veeam backup servers connected to Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager and performs the following tasks:
- Replicates indexing data from Veeam backup servers to create a federal catalog
- Maintains indexing data retention
- Lets you search for machine guest OS files in current and archived backup file