Veeam Backup Catalog
Veeam Backup Catalog is a feature that stands for VM guest OS file indexing. Veeam Backup Catalog comprises Veeam Guest Catalog services that run on the following servers in the backup infrastructure: Veeam backup server and Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager server.
- Veeam Guest Catalog service on the Veeam backup server works as a local catalog service. It collects index data for backup jobs on this specific Veeam backup server and stores this data locally in the Veeam Backup Catalog folder.
- Veeam Guest Catalog service on Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager works as a federal catalog service. It communicates with Veeam Guest Catalog services on Veeam backup servers connected to Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager and performs the following tasks:
- Replicates index data from Veeam backup servers to create a federal catalog
- Maintains index data retention
- Lets you search for machine guest OS files in backup files