Restoring Files to Original Location
In this restore scenario, Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager will extract the file from the backup and restore it to the original production machine. Restoring guest OS files to the original location is the most secure file recovery method, as the user who initiates the file restore operation in the Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager web UI cannot access the file itself.
This type of restore is only possible if the original machine is powered on and resides in the original location.
To restore a file to the original location:
- Locate the necessary file using browse or search possibilities of Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager. Multiple selection is also possible. For details, see Browsing Machine Backups for Guest OS Files or Searching Machine Backups for Guest OS Files.
- Click Restore and select how to restore selected files:
- If you select Overwrite, the file from the backup will replace the original file on the target machine.
- If you select Keep, the file from the backup will be restored next to the original file on the target machine; the file from machine backup will have the Restored prefix in the file name.
- In the displayed window, click Yes.
Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager will start the restore operation and display the progress and result of the operation in the File Restore History view.
By default, guest file restore to the original location is performed using the account specified in the backup job for guest OS access. If it does not have sufficient rights to access the target machine, you are prompted for the credentials. Specify user account and password, as required. For more information, see Guest OS Credentials.