Restoring Microsoft Exchange Items
You can restore Microsoft Exchange items (emails, tasks, calendars) from backups of Microsoft Exchange Server machines.
Before You Begin
Before you restore application items, consider the following considerations and limitations:
- Application item restore is available in the Enterprise and Enterprise Plus editions of Veeam Backup & Replication.
- Enterprise Manager does not support application item restore from storage snapshots.
- Enterprise Manager users can restore items to the original location or a new location within the restore scope. Users must also have sufficient permissions to restore application items. Users with the Portal Administrator role have no limitations. For more information, see Configuring Accounts and Roles.
- To be able to restore Microsoft Exchange items, make sure Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager is installed on the domain member server from the Microsoft Active Directory forest in which Microsoft Exchange mailboxes are located.
- You can restore deleted Microsoft Exchange items to the production mailbox only.
- When you restore application items with Enterprise Manager, restore limitations listed in the Considerations and Limitations section of the Veeam Explorers User Guide are also applied.
To restore a Microsoft Exchange item to the production Exchange Server, take the following steps:
- Open the Items tab and click Mailbox Items.
- In the Username field, enter the account of Active Directory user whose mailbox will be restored. You can leave the Username field empty and click the search icon to display all mailboxes that currently exist in the production environment, or enter a search criteria. Enterprise Manager uses Global Catalog to examine Active Directory database and find the specified user mailbox, as well as the DNS name for the Exchange Server where the data should be restored. Then it looks for the VM backup or replica and its restore points.
- To specify a restore point from which to restore the database, in the Restore point field, click the calendar icon and select the necessary date and a restore point created on that date. By default, the latest valid restore point is selected.
Consider the following:
- In the Items section, select the type of item you want to restore:
- To restore only missing items created or received during a certain period, select the Only restore missing items created or received <time period> check box and select the period from the drop-down list.
- Click Restore. Items that meet the specified conditions will be restored to the production Exchange Server.
To view a restore session log, click History.