Veeam Backup & Replication allows you to export disks, that is, restore disks from backups of physical or virtual machines and convert them to the VMDK, VHD or VHDX formats.
During disk export, Veeam Backup & Replication creates the following files that can be used by VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V VMs:
- When you export a disk in the VMDK format, Veeam Backup & Replication creates a pair of files that make up the VM virtual disk: a descriptor file and file with the virtual disk content.
- When you export a disk in the VHD/VHDX format, Veeam Backup & Replication creates a file of the VHD or VHDX format.
You can save the exported disks to any server added to the backup infrastructure or place disks on a datastore connected to an ESXi host (for VMDK disk format only). VMDK disks can be exported as thin provision and thick disks.
Veeam Backup & Replication supports batch disk export. For example, if you choose to export 2 disks, Veeam Backup & Replication will convert them to 2 virtual disks and store these disks in the specified location.
Supported Backup Types
You can restore disks from the following backups:
- Backups of virtual and physical machines created by Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows, Veeam Agent for Linux or Veeam Agent for Mac
- Backups of EC2 instances created by Veeam Backup for AWS
- Backups of Azure VMs created by Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure
- Backups of Nutanix AHV virtual machines created by Veeam Backup for Nutanix AHV
- [Starting from Veeam Backup & Replication 11a (build 220.127.116.111)] Backups of Google VM instances created by Veeam Backup for Google Cloud
- [Starting from Veeam Backup & Replication 11a (build 18.104.22.1681)] Backups of RHV VMs created by Veeam Backup for RHV
- [Starting from Veeam Backup & Replication cumulative patch P20211211 for v11a] Backups exported by K10 policies