About Veeam Backup & Replication
Veeam® Backup & Replication™ is a data protection and disaster recovery solution developed for virtual, physical and cloud environments.
This document contains a high-level overview of Veeam Backup & Replication, its architecture, features, and instructions on data protection and recovery operations.
In this section:
- The Mission of Veeam Backup & Replication
- Main Features
- Protected Objects
- Protected Applications
- Management and Reporting
- Service Providers
The main goal of Veeam Backup & Replication is to be a comprehensive solution that covers main aspects of disaster recovery procedures.
Veeam Backup & Replication handles the following tasks:
- Provides a technology for image-level backup and restore operations that optimizes data transfer and resource consumption
- Maintains secure transfer and storage of backup files in various types of repositories
- Minimizes RPO and RTO
- Provides centralized management of different platform workloads (virtual, physical and cloud)
- Has an easy-to-use interface to manage backup, restore operations and all infrastructure components involved in these processes
- Automates and schedules routine data protection operations
- Provides integration with an advanced reporting and monitoring solution (Veeam One) and solutions for managing and planning enterprise environments (Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager, Veeam Availability Orchestrator, Veeam Management Pack).
Main features of Veeam Backup & Replication include:
- Backup: creating image-level backups of virtual, physical, cloud machines and backups of NAS share files.
- Restore: various restore options for different disaster recovery scenarios.
- Replication: creating an exact copy of a VM and maintaining the copy in sync with the original VM.
- Backup Copy: copying backup files to a secondary repository.
- Storage Systems Support: backing up and restoring VMs using capabilities of native snapshots created on production storage systems that host VM disks.
- Tape Devices Support: integration with tape devices for storing copies of backups.
- Recovery Verification: testing VM backups and replicas before recovery.
With Veeam Backup & Replication, you can back up and restore the following objects:
- Virtual machines:
- Nutanix AHV VMs (requires an additional plug-in)
- Cloud VMs:
- AWS EC2 instances (requires an additional plug-in)
- Microsoft Azure VMs (requires an additional plug-in)
- Physical machines:
- Microsoft Windows
- Oracle Solaris
- IBM AIX
Physical machines are backed up using agents installed on each computer. Veeam Backup & Replication functions as a centralized console for deploying and managing agents of all supported OSes. For details, see the Veeam Agent Management Guide.
Native functionality of Veeam Backup & Replication allows you to create application-consistent backups for:
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Oracle Database
- Active Directory
- Microsoft Exchange
- Microsoft OneDrive
- Microsoft SharePoint
Apart from application-consistent backup functionality of Veeam Backup & Replication, you can install the following additional tools:
- Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365: for full protection of Microsoft Office applications.
- Veeam Plug-ins for Enterprise Applications: for integration of Veeam Backup & Replication with Oracle RMAN and SAP HANA backup tools.
Apart from its native capabilities, Veeam Backup & Replication integrates with a set of solutions that provide high-level reporting and management capabilities for enterprise environments:
- Veeam ONE: a solution that enables real-time monitoring, business documentation and management reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V.
- Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager: a management and reporting component that allows you to manage multiple Veeam Backup & Replication installations from a single web console.
- Management Pack for Veeam Backup & Replication: a component that integrates Veeam Backup & Replication infrastructure, services and jobs into Microsoft System Center Operations Manager.
- Veeam Availability Orchestrator: a solution that orchestrates disaster recovery processes in VMware vSphere environments, supports one-click recovery for critical applications and sites, and provides features for documentation and testing.
If you are a service provider, you can use Veeam Service Provider Console to deliver Veeam-powered Backup-as-a-Service (BaaS) and Disaster Recovery-as-a-Service (DRaaS) services to your customers.