You can choose networks over which Veeam Backup & Replication must transport VM data when you perform data protection and disaster recovery tasks. This option can be helpful if you have a non-production network and want to route VM data traffic over this network instead of the production one.
Preferred network rules are applied to the following backup infrastructure components:
- Backup proxies
- Backup repositories
- WAN accelerators
- Gateways (used with backup repositories)
- Log shipping servers
- Tape servers
To define networks for data transfer, you must create a list of preferred networks. When Veeam Backup & Replication needs to transfer VM data, it uses networks from this list. If a connection over preferred networks cannot be established for some reason, Veeam Backup & Replication will automatically fail over to the production network.
To set a network priority list:
- From the main menu, select Network Traffic Rules.
- In the Global Network Traffic Rules window, click Networks.
- In the Preferred Networks window, select the Prefer the following networks for backup and replication traffic check box.
- Click Add.
- Specify a network address using a CIDR notation or a network mask and click Add.
- Repeat steps 4-5 for all networks that you want to add.