Step 3. Select Workloads to Process
At the Objects step of the wizard, select the workloads whose restore points you want to copy to a target backup repository.
- Click the Add button.
- Add the workloads that you want to copy:
- [For the immediate copy mode] Select a source backup job. Veeam Backup & Replication copies restore points of all workloads that the selected backup jobs process.
If you have configured processing of transaction log backups in the source backup jobs and want to copy these backups to the target repository, select the Include database transaction log backups check box.
- [For the periodic copy mode] You can select workloads from the following sources:
- From infrastructure. You can browse the virtual infrastructure to add VMs or VM containers to the job. When the backup copy job runs, Veeam Backup & Replication searches for restore points of selected VMs in all backup repositories in the backup infrastructure. You can limit the search scope by selecting only specific backup repositories for the backup copy job. For more information, see Select Source Backup Repositories.
This source is available only for backup copy jobs that process VMware or Hyper-V VMs.
- From backups. You can select workloads from backups. When the backup copy job runs, Veeam Backup & Replication searches for restore points of selected workloads in all backups created in the backup server. You can limit the search scope by selecting only specific backup repositories for the backup copy job. For more information, see Select Source Backup Repositories.
This source is the only available one for backup copy jobs that process backups of Amazon EC2 instances and Microsoft Azure VMs. You can select instances/VMs only from backups that are stored in external repositories.
- From jobs. You can select workloads from backup jobs. When the backup copy job runs, Veeam Backup & Replication searches for restore points of selected workloads in backups created by the selected jobs.
As an alternative, you can create a backup copy job with an empty source — that is, do not add any workloads at this step of the wizard. In this case, you need to configure a secondary destination for the source backup job and link it to the created backup copy job. For more information, see Linking Backup Jobs to Backup Copy Jobs.
Limitations for Workload Selection
When selecting workloads, consider the following limitations:
- Within one backup copy job, Veeam Backup & Replication processes workloads of one platform only. For example, within one backup copy job, you cannot process backups of VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V VMs or backups of VMs and physical machines.
- The following applies to the periodic copy mode:
- If a workload that you want to add to a backup copy job is processed by multiple source backup jobs that use different block sizes, add this workload From jobs.
When you add a workload From infrastructure or From backups, Veeam Backup & Replication picks the most recent backup as a data source. If Veeam Backup & Replication picks source backups with different block sizes during different backup copy intervals, the backup copy job will fail.
- If Use per-VM backup files option is disabled in a repository that you are planning to use as the target, you can select only workloads that have the same data block size — that is, restore points of all workloads that you select to process must have the same data block size. If the Use per-VM backup files option is enabled, you can select workloads that have different block sizes.
- [For backup copy jobs processing Veeam Agent backups] The following limitation applies to backup copy jobs only if you have upgraded to Veeam Backup & Replication 10 from Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 Update 4 or earlier versions.
If a Microsoft Windows machine that you want to add to a backup copy job is processed by multiple source Veeam Agent backup jobs configured in Veeam Backup & Replication, add this machine From jobs. If you add a machine From backups, the backup copy job will fail with the following message: Unable to determine source backup: multiple backup files with the same instance ID exist in the source backup repository. Please reconfigure this Backup Copy job to use the specific backup job as the source.