To perform upgrade of Veeam Backup & Replication to version 9.5, you must be running version 9.0 (any update) or 8.0 Update #3 on the supported operating system (refer to the System Requirements section of this document). To upgrade from previous versions, contact Veeam Technical Support.
Check the following prerequisites before upgrading Veeam Backup & Replication:
- Are you using Veeam ONE to monitor your backup infrastructure? If yes, upgrade it first. Veeam ONE supports monitoring of backup servers versions 9.5, 9.0 and 8.0.
- Are you running Veeam Backup & Replication 9.0 (any update) or 8.0 Update #3? If yes, perform the upgrade procedure described below. To upgrade from other versions, contact Veeam Technical Support.
- Is backup server to be upgraded installed on the supported operating system? If not, you must migrate the server to the supported OS first, before performing the upgrade. Refer to the Veeam support KB article KB1803 for more information on how to perform the migration.
- Is your Veeam Backup & Replication or Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager configuration database hosted on Microsoft SQL Server 2005? If yes, you must upgrade the Microsoft SQL Server to version 2008 or later first. We recommend Microsoft SQL Server 2014 or later for performance considerations.
- Are you using Cloud Connect? If yes, check with your Cloud Connect service provider if they have already upgraded their system to at least the version you are upgrading to.
- Ensure there is no active processes, such as any running jobs and restore sessions. We recommend that you do not stop running jobs and let them complete successfully instead. Disable any periodic and backup copy jobs, so that they do not start during the upgrade.
- Perform a backup of the corresponding SQL Server configuration databases used by backup and Enterprise Manager servers, so that you can easily go back to previous version in case of issues with upgrade. Note that built-in configuration backup functionality does not protect Enterprise Manager configuration.
- Are you using Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager? If yes, start the upgrade procedure from this component. Note that Enterprise Manager 9.5 supports version 9.0 and 8.0 backup servers, so you can potentially run both old and new product versions side by side.
To upgrade Veeam Backup & Replication to version 9.5, perform the following steps:
- Download the latest version of Veeam Backup & Replication ISO from: www.veeam.com/vmware-esx-backup-download.html.
- Ensure that the latest run for all existing jobs has completed successfully. If some jobs have failed, re-run the failed jobs.
- Ensure there are no running jobs, including restore sessions, Instant VM Recovery sessions and SureBackup jobs. We recommend you do not stop running jobs and let them complete successfully instead. Disable any periodic and backup copy jobs temporarily to prevent them from starting during the upgrade.
- Mount the product ISO and use autorun, or run the Setup.exe file.
- Click the Veeam Backup & Replication tile.
- Follow the upgrade wizard steps as outlined above. Be sure to select the same SQL database and instance that was used by the previous product version.
- Wait for the setup program to perform the upgrade.
- Once the installation is complete, download and install the latest available update from www.veeam.com/updates.html.
- Open the Veeam Backup & Replication console. If necessary, the automated upgrade wizard will automatically appear, prompting you to upgrade product components running on remote servers. Follow the wizard to complete the upgrade process.
- If some remote servers are unavailable at the time of upgrade, you can run the Upgrade wizard at any time later from the main product menu, or by closing and re-opening the Veeam Backup & Replication console. Note that out-of-date product components cannot be used by jobs until they are updated to the backup server version.
- Enable any scheduled jobs that you have disabled before the upgrade.
Please note that immediately after upgrade, backup server performance may be impacted due to configuration database being optimized by the maintenance job. This can take up to an hour depending on the database size.
You must upgrade Veeam components on all remote servers with which the backup server communicates during data protection and disaster recovery tasks. If you do not upgrade components on remote servers, Veeam Backup & Replication jobs will be failing. For more information, see Upgrading Server Components.
Veeam Backup & Replication does not support product upgrade in the unattended mode. However, you can:
- Uninstall the previous version of the product.
- Install a newer version of the product in the unattended mode. You must connect to the configuration database that was used by the previous product version.