To perform upgrade of Veeam Backup & Replication to version 9.5 Update 4, you must be running version 9.5 (any update) or 9.0 Update 2 on the supported operating system (refer to the System Requirements section of this document). To upgrade from previous versions, contact Veeam Customer Support.
Check the following prerequisites before upgrading Veeam Backup & Replication:
- Are you using Veeam ONE to monitor your backup infrastructure? If yes, upgrade it first. Veeam ONE supports monitoring of backup servers versions 9.5 and 9.0.
- Are you running Veeam Backup & Replication 9.0 Update 2 or later? If yes, perform the upgrade procedure described below. To upgrade from previous versions, contact Veeam Customer Support.
- Are you using a per-VM license for VMs or Veeam Agents on your backup server? If yes, obtain a replacement per-instance license from the Veeam Customer Support Portal before upgrading.
- Are you using a Perpetual per-socket license for VMs along with a license for Veeam Agents on your backup server? If yes, obtain a merged license with sockets and instances in the same file from the Veeam Customer Support Portal before upgrading.
- Check if the backup server you plan to upgrade is installed on the supported operating system. If not, you must migrate the server to the supported OS first, before performing the upgrade. For information on how to perform the migration, see this Veeam KB article.
- Check if your Veeam Backup & Replication or Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager configuration database is hosted on Microsoft SQL Server 2005. If yes, you must upgrade the Microsoft SQL Server to version 2008 or later first. We recommend Microsoft SQL Server 2014 or later for performance considerations.
- Are you using Veeam Agents operating in the standalone mode together with Veeam Backup & Replication? If yes, after you upgrade Veeam Backup & Replication to version 9.5 Update 4, you must upgrade Veeam Agent on protected computers to version 3.0 or later.
- Are you using Cloud Connect? If yes, check with your Cloud Connect service provider if they have already upgraded their system to at least the version you are upgrading to.
- Make sure there is no active processes, such as any running jobs and restore sessions. We recommend that you do not stop running jobs and let them complete successfully. Disable any periodic and backup copy jobs, so that they do not start during the upgrade.
- Perform backup of the corresponding SQL Server configuration databases used by backup and Enterprise Manager servers, so that you can easily go back to the previous version in case of issues with upgrade. Note that the built-in configuration backup functionality does not protect Enterprise Manager configuration.
- Are you using Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager? If yes, start the upgrade procedure from this component. Note that Enterprise Manager 9.5 Update 4 supports version 9.5 and 9.0 backup servers, so you can potentially run both old and new product versions side by side.
To upgrade Veeam Backup & Replication to version 9.5 Update 4, perform the following steps:
- Download the latest version of the Veeam Backup & Replication ISO from the Veeam Backup & Replication Download page.
- Make sure the latest run for all existing jobs has completed successfully. Rerun the failed jobs.
- Make sure there are no running jobs, restore sessions, Instant VM Recovery sessions and SureBackup jobs. We recommend that you do not stop running jobs and let them complete successfully. Disable any periodic and backup copy jobs temporarily to prevent them from starting during the upgrade.
- Mount the product ISO and use autorun, or run the Setup.exe file.
- Click the Upgrade tile to launch the upgrade wizard.
- Follow the same steps as described in the Installing Veeam Backup & Replication section. Be sure to select the same SQL database and instance that was used by the previous product version.
At the Ready to Install step of the upgrade wizard, select the Update remote components automatically check box to automatically upgrade Veeam Backup & Replication components on all servers added to the backup infrastructure. For more information, see Server Components Upgrade.
- Wait for the setup program to perform the upgrade.
- Open the Veeam Backup & Replication console. If necessary, the automated upgrade wizard will automatically appear, prompting you to upgrade the product components running on remote servers. Follow the wizard to complete the upgrade process.
- If some remote servers are unavailable at the time of upgrade, you can run the upgrade wizard at any time later from the main product menu, or by closing and re-opening the Veeam Backup & Replication console. Note that the out-of-date product components cannot be used by jobs until they are updated to the backup server version.
- Enable any scheduled jobs that you have disabled before the upgrade.
Note that immediately after upgrade, the backup server performance may decrease. This happens due to the maintenance job that optimizes the configuration database. The process may take up to an hour depending on the database size.
You must upgrade Veeam components on all remote servers with which the backup server communicates during data protection and disaster recovery tasks. If you do not upgrade components on remote servers, Veeam Backup & Replication jobs will fail. For more information, see Server Components Upgrade.
Veeam Backup & Replication does not support product upgrade in the unattended mode. However, you can perform the following steps:
- Uninstall the previous version of the product.
- Install a newer version of the product in the unattended mode. You must connect to the configuration database that was used by the previous product version.
For information on how to install Veeam Backup & Replication in the unattended mode, see Installing Veeam Backup & Replication in Unattended Mode.