Veeam Backup & Replication provides support for the following versions of the Microsoft Hyper-V platform.
- Windows Server 2016 (including version 1709)
- Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
- Windows Nano Server (with Microsoft Hyper-V role installed)
- Windows Server Hyper-V 2016 (including version 1709)
- Windows Server Hyper-V 2012 R2
- Windows Server Hyper-V 2012
- Windows Server Hyper-V 2008 R2 SP1
- Microsoft Hyper-V Server (free hypervisor) is supported
Depending on your Windows Server version, some additional hot fixes not included in the Windows Update must be installed. Please refer to KB1838 for more information.
Management Server (optional)
- Microsoft PowerShell Engine 2.0 (optional, enables networkless guest processing)
- Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2016 (optional)
- Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2012 R2 (optional)
- Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2012 SP1 (optional)
- Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2 SP1 (optional)
- Supported virtual hardware versions are 5.0 and 8.0 for Hyper-V 2016, 8.2 for Hyper-V 1709.
- Both Generation 1 and 2 virtual machines are supported, including 64 TB VHDX disks.
- Pass-through virtual disks and guest disks connected via in-guest FC or iSCSI are skipped from processing.
- [Hyper-V 2016] VMs with pass-through virtual disks cannot be processed due to Hyper-V 2016 checkpoints limitation.
- All operating systems supported by Hyper-V.
- Application-aware processing is supported for Microsoft Windows 2003 SP2 and later except Nano Server, due to the absence of VSS framework.
- Microsoft Windows file-level restore option is supported on NTFS, FAT, FAT32 and ReFS file systems (ReFS is supported only if Veeam Backup & Replication is installed on Microsoft Windows Server 2012 and later). To restore files from non-Microsoft Windows guests (Linux, Solaris, BSD, Micro Focus OES), use the Multi-OS File Level Restore wizard.
Hyper-V integration components (required for application-aware processing)
Supported File Systems
- ReFS (ReFS is supported only if Veeam Backup & Replication is installed on Microsoft Windows Server 2012 and later).
- ext2, ext3, ext4
DRBD (Distributed Replicated Block Devices) are not supported.
HFS, HFS+ (volumes up to 2 TB)
- ZFS (except any pool versions of Oracle Solaris)
The FLR appliance uses module ZFSonLinux version 0.6.3. For this reason, Veeam Backup & Replication supports only those versions of pools and features that are available in ZFSonLinux version 0.6.3.
You cannot restore pipes and other file system objects. File-level restore supports recovery of files and folders only.
The multi-OS wizard works not only with basic disks, but also Linux LVM (Logical Volume Manager) and ZFS pools. Encrypted LVM volumes are not supported.
VM Guest OS Files Exclusion
Veeam Backup & Replication supports both basic and dynamic disks. Volumes on the dynamic disks must not be split — spanned, striped and other types of split volumes are not supported.
Dynamic disks and FAT/FAT32 disks can be backed up only with disabled application-aware processing.