If you back up or replicate running VMs, you can enable guest processing options. Guest processing options are advanced tasks that require Veeam Backup & Replication to communicate with the VM guest OS. Veeam Backup & Replication offers the following guest processing options:
- Application-aware processing. You can create transactionally consistent backups and replicas of VMs running applications that support Microsoft VSS. Application-aware processing guarantees that you can restore VMs without data loss.
- Pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts. You can use pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts to quiesce VMs running applications that do not support Microsoft VSS.
- Transaction log truncation. You can set the backup or replication job to truncate transaction logs on the VM guest OS after the VM is successfully processed.
- Transaction logs backup for Microsoft SQL Server and Oracle. You can set up the backup job to back up transaction logs from Microsoft SQL Server and Oracle VMs.
- VM guest file system indexing. You can set up the backup job to create a catalog of files and folders on the VM guest OS. The catalog lets you search for VM guest OS files and 1-click restore in Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager.
VM guest file system indexing is optional. If you do not enable this option in the backup job settings, you will still be able to perform 1-click restore from the backup created with such backup job. For more information, see https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/em/preparing_for_file_browsing.html.
- VM guest OS files exclusion. You can exclude/include individual files and folders from/to backup or replicas.
User Account for Guest Processing
A user account for application-aware image processing must have administrator privileges on the VM guest OS. Credentials for Microsoft Windows VMs must be specified in the following format:
- For Active Directory accounts — DOMAIN\Username
- For local accounts — Username or HOST\Username
- If you process a Domain Controller, select an account that is a member of the DOMAIN\Administrators group to enable guest processing.
- If you back up a Read-Only Domain Controller, a delegated RODC administrator account is sufficient. For more information, see https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755310(v=ws.10).aspx#Anchor_1.
Transaction Log Backup
If you add a Microsoft SQL Server VM or Oracle VM to the job, make sure that you specify a user account that has enough permissions on the database.
- If you back up a Microsoft SQL VM and want Veeam Explorer for Microsoft SQL Server to automatically identify Microsoft SQL Server databases in the created backup, the user account must have the sysadmin privileges on the Microsoft SQL Server.
- If you back up an Oracle VM, the user account must have SYSDBA privileges on the database.
You can grant access rights to the VM guest OS and SYSDBA role to one user account and specify credentials of this user account in the job settings. If the account that you plan to use to connect to the VM guest OS does not have the SYSDBA role (for example, for security reasons), you will have to specify another account that has SYSDBA rights on the Oracle tab of the VM Processing Settings window. This account will be used to access the Oracle database. For more information, see Transaction Log Settings: Oracle.
With Veeam Backup & Replication you can create transactionally consistent backups or replicas of VMs that run the following applications:
- Microsoft Active Directory
- Microsoft Exchange
- Microsoft SharePoint
- Microsoft SQL Server
To create consistent backups for such VMs, make sure you enable application-aware processing in the job settings.
To view and recover backed up application items, you can use the capabilities of Veeam Explorers. For more information, see Veeam Backup Explorers User Guide.
System requirements for applications are listed below.
Microsoft Active Directory
Veeam Backup & Replication supports domain controller backups for the following operating systems:
Minimum supported domain and forest functional level is Windows 2003.
The following versions of Microsoft Exchange are supported:
The following versions of Microsoft SharePoint Server (virtualized either on VMware or Hyper-V platform) are supported:
All editions are supported (Foundation, Standard, Enterprise).
Microsoft SQL Server
The following versions of Microsoft SQL Server are supported:
All editions of Microsoft SQL Server are supported.
Oracle on Windows OS
Veeam Backup & Replication supports Oracle Database 11g and 12c backups for the following operating systems:
Oracle on Linux OS
Veeam Backup & Replication supports Oracle Database 11g Release 2 backups for the following operating systems:
Veeam Backup & Replication supports Oracle Database 12c Release 1 backups for the following operating systems:
For details, see https://docs.oracle.com/database/121/LADBI/pre_install.htm#LADBI7533.
Veeam Backup & Replication supports Oracle Database 12c Release 2 backups for the following operating systems:
Oracle Database configuration
Automatic Storage Management (ASM) is supported for Oracle 11g and later; requires ASMlib present.