Step 6. Specify Backup Storage Settings
At the Storage step of the wizard, select backup infrastructure components for the job — backup proxy and backup repository, and define backup storage settings.
- Click Choose next to the Backup proxy field to select a backup proxy.
- If you choose the On-host backup mode, the source Microsoft Hyper‑V host will perform the roles of the source host and backup proxy. In this mode, Veeam Data Mover runs directly on the source host, which helps streamline data retrieval operations but puts additional load on the host.
If the job processes a VM whose disks are located on the CSV and Microsoft CSV Software Shadow Copy Provider is used for snapshot creating, the Microsoft Hyper-V host owning the CSV will be used as the on-host backup proxy.
- If you choose the Off-host backup mode, Veeam Data Mover will be started on a dedicated off-host backup proxy. In this mode, all backup processing operations are shifted to the off-host backup proxy from the source host.
By default, if the off-host backup mode is selected for the job but no off-host backup proxies are available when the job starts, Veeam Backup & Replication will automatically fail over to the on-host backup mode. To disable failover, clear the Failover to on-host backup mode if no suitable off-host proxies available check box. If you disable this option, you must check off-host backup proxies before the job starts. The job will not be able to start if off-host backup proxies are not available or are not configured properly.
To perform off-host backup, Veeam Backup & Replication analyzes the current load on off-host backup proxies and proxy settings (such as the number of allowed tasks, connectivity to the source volumes) to select an appropriate off-host backup proxy for the job. You can also explicitly point out what off-host backup proxies the job must use. To do this, select the Use the following backup proxy servers only check box and choose one or several off-host backup proxies from the list. It is recommended that you select at least two off-host backup proxies to ensure that the backup job starts if one of the backup proxies fails or loses its connectivity to the source volumes.
- From the Backup repository list, select a backup repository where the created backup files must be stored. When you select a backup repository, Veeam Backup & Replication automatically checks how much free space is available in the backup repository.
Consider the following:
- You can map the job to a specific backup stored in the backup repository. Backup job mapping can be helpful if you have moved backup files to a new backup repository and want to point the job to existing backups in this new backup repository. You can also use backup job mapping if the configuration database got corrupted and you need to reconfigure backup jobs.
To map the job to a backup, click the Map backup link and select the backup in the backup repository. Backups can be easily identified by job names. To find the backup, you can also use the search field at the bottom of the window.
- In the Retention Policy field, specify retention policy settings for restore points:
- If you want to keep the last N restore points, select restore points from the drop-down list. Then specify the number of restore points.
- If you want to keep all restore points created during the last N days, select days from the drop-down list. Then specify the number of days.
When the specified number is exceeded, the earliest restore point is removed from the backup chain or merged with the next closest restore point. For more information, see Short-Term Retention Policy.
- If you want to archive backup files created with the backup job to a secondary destination (backup repository or tape), select the Configure secondary destination for this job check box. With this option enabled, the New Backup Job wizard will include an additional step — Secondary Target. At the Secondary Target step of the wizard, you can link the backup job to the backup copy job or backup to tape backup job.
You can enable this option only if a backup copy job or backup to tape job is already configured on the backup server.