Restoring Encrypted Data from Tapes
When you restore data from encrypted tapes, Veeam Backup & Replication performs data decryption automatically in the background or requires you to provide a password.
- If encryption keys required to unlock the tape are available in the Veeam Backup & Replication database, you do not need to enter the password to decrypt the tape. Veeam Backup & Replication uses keys from the database to unlock the encrypted tape. Data decryption is performed in the background and data restore from encrypted tapes does not differ from that from an unencrypted ones.
Automatic tape decryption is performed if the following conditions are met:
- You encrypt and decrypt tapes on the same Veeam backup server.
- The tape is loaded to the tape library and information about this tape is available in the catalog.
- The password specified in the settings of the media pool to which the tape belongs is the same as the password that was used for tape encryption.
- If encryption keys are not available in the Veeam Backup & Replication database, you can restore data from encrypted tapes with the following methods: