Limitations for Archive Tier
The archive tier has the following limitations:
- Each type of repository that can be added as an archive extent is compatible only with corresponding type of repository configured as a capacity extent:
- To add Amazon S3 Glacier as an archive extent, select Amazon S3 repository in the capacity tier settings. If you do not have an Amazon S3 repository as a capacity extent of your scale-out backup repository, you must first configure it.
- To add Microsoft Azure Archive storage as an archive extent, select Microsoft Azure Blob repository in the capacity tier settings. If you do not have a Microsoft Azure Blob repository as a capacity extent of your scale-out backup repository, you must first configure it.
For more information on configuring capacity extents, see Add Capacity Tier.
- Migrating data to another archive tier is not supported.
- You cannot transport backup files from performance tier directly to the archive tier. Transportation to the archive tier is available only from the capacity tier.
- Microsoft Azure Archive storage does not support immutability.
- Imported backups cannot be offloaded to archive tier.
- Incremental backup files cannot be stored in the archive tier.
- Archive Tier does not support Azure accounts with the following redundancy options: zone-redundant storage (ZRS), geo-redundant storage (GZRS) and read-access geo-zone-redundant storage (RA-GZRS) accounts. For more information, see Microsoft Docs.