Before You Begin
In this article
Before you add a WAN accelerator, check the following prerequisites:
- The machine that will operate as a WAN accelerator must meet the system requirements. For more information, see System Requirements.
- You must assign the WAN accelerator role to a Microsoft Windows server (physical or virtual). The WAN accelerator role can be assigned to backup proxies and Microsoft Windows backup repositories already configured in the backup infrastructure.
- You must use 64-bit Microsoft Windows machines as WAN accelerators. Veeam Backup & Replication does not support 32-bit versions of Microsoft Windows used as WAN accelerators.
- WAN acceleration operations are resource-consuming. When assigning the WAN accelerator role, mind available CPU and memory resources of the Microsoft Windows server. It is recommended that you assign the WAN accelerator role to servers with 8 GB RAM and more.
- The machine must have enough free disk space to store digests or global cache data. For more information, see WAN Accelerator Sizing.
- You must add the machine to the Veeam Backup & Replication console as a managed server before adding it as a WAN accelerator.