At the Data Transfer step of the wizard, select backup infrastructure components that must be used for the replication process and choose a path for VM data transfer.
- From the Source proxy list, select the backup proxy that must be used to transfer VM data from source to target. Click Choose to select the mode and backup proxies for the replication job.
- If you choose the On-host backup mode, during replication the source Microsoft Hyper-V host will perform the roles of the source host and backup proxy. In this mode, the Veeam Data Mover runs directly on the source host, which helps streamline data retrieval operations but puts additional load on the host.
In case the job processes a VM whose disks are located on the CSV and Microsoft CSV Software Shadow Copy Provider is used for snapshot creating, the Microsoft Hyper-V host owning the CSV will be used as the on-host backup proxy.
- If you choose the Off-host backup mode, the Veeam Data Mover will be started on a dedicated off-host backup proxy. In this mode, all data processing operations are moved to the off-host backup proxy from the source host.
By default, if the off-host backup mode is selected for the job but there are no off-host backup proxies available when the job starts, Veeam Backup & Replication will automatically fail over to the on-host backup mode. To disable failover, clear the Failover to on-host backup mode if no suitable off-host proxies available check box. If you disable this option, you must check off-host backup proxies in the backup infrastructure before the job starts. The job will not be able to start if off-host backup proxies are not available or not configured properly.
To perform off-host backup, Veeam Backup & Replication analyzes the current load on off-host backup proxies and proxy settings (such as the number of allowed tasks, connectivity to the source volumes) to select the most appropriate off-host backup proxy for the job automatically. You can also explicitly point out what off-host backup proxies the job must use. To do this, select the Use the following backup proxy servers only check box and choose one or more off-host backup proxies from the list. It is recommended that you select at least two off-host backup proxies to ensure that the replication job starts if one of the proxies fails or loses its connectivity to the source volumes.
- Select a path for VM data transfer:
- To transport VM data directly from the on-host/off-host backup proxy to the target volume, select Direct.
- To transport VM data via WAN accelerators, select Through built-in WAN accelerators. From the Source WAN accelerator list, select the WAN accelerator configured in the source site. From the Target WAN accelerator list, select the WAN accelerator configured in the target site.
For more information, see Replication Data Paths.
You should not assign one source WAN accelerator to several replication jobs that you plan to run simultaneously. The source WAN accelerator requires a lot of CPU and RAM resources, and does not process multiple replication tasks in parallel. As an alternative, you can create one replication job for all VMs you plan to process over one source WAN accelerator.
The target WAN accelerator, however, can be assigned to several replication jobs. For more information, see Adding WAN Accelerators.