Immutability for Performance Tier
Veeam Backup & Replication allows you to prohibit deletion of data from the repositories added as a performance extent by making that data temporarily immutable. It is done for increased security: immutability protects your data from loss as a result of attacks, malware activity or any other injurious actions.
You can enable immutability for the following types of repositories:
- Amazon, S3-compatible and Azure object storage repositories. For more information, see Immutability for Object Storage Repositories.
- Hardened Repository. For more information, see Hardened Repository.
- HPE StoreOnce. For more information, see Immutability for HPE StoreOnce.
The immutable data within the performance extent cannot be subject to the following operations:
- Manual removal of data, as described in section Deleting Backups from Object Storage.
- Removal of data by the retention policy, as described in section Retention Policy.
- Removal of data using any cloud service provider tools.
- Removal of data by the cloud service provider technical support department.
- Removal of data by the Remove deleted items data after option, as described in section Maintenance Settings.
Immutability settings for the following types of backups files depends on a configuration of a scale-out backups repository:
- Backups with GFS flags.
- Backups created with VeeamZIP jobs.
- Exported backup files.
Consider the following scenarios:
- If retention policy configured for these backup files exceeds immutability settings, Veeam Backup & Replication applies retention that is defined for these types of backups. Immutability settings defined for an object storage repository are ignored.
- If you do not add a capacity tier or archive tier to your scale-out backup repository, Veeam Backup & Replication follows retention policy configured for these files in case it exceeds immutability settings. Immutability settings defined for an object storage repository are ignored.
- If you add a capacity tier to your scale-out backup repository and select move backups to capacity tier, immutability is set according to the object storage repository settings. Retention policy for these backups files is ignored. Note that data blocks are deleted from the performance tier once the immutability period for the performance tier ends.