A SureBackup job is a task for recovery verification. The SureBackup job aggregates all settings and policies of the recovery verification task, such as application group and virtual lab to be used, VM backups that must be verified in the virtual lab and so on. You can run the SureBackup job manually or schedule it to run automatically.
When a SureBackup job runs, Veeam Backup & Replication first creates an environment for recovery verification:
- Veeam Backup & Replication starts the virtual lab.
- In the virtual lab, Veeam Backup & Replication starts VMs from the application group in the required order. VMs from the application group remain running until the verified VMs (VMs from the linked job) are booted from backups and tested.
If Veeam Backup & Replication does not find a valid restore point for any of VMs from the application group, the SureBackup job fails.
- When the virtual lab is ready, Veeam Backup & Replication starts verified VMs (VMs from the linked job) to the necessary restore point and, depending on the job settings, verifies them one by one or creates several streams and verifies a number of VMs simultaneously.
If Veeam Backup & Replication does not find a valid restore point for any of verified VMs, verification of this VM fails, but the job continues to run.
By default, you can start and test up to three VMs at the same time. You can also increase the number of VMs to be started and tested simultaneously. Keep in mind that if these VMs are resource demanding, performance of the SureBackup job as well as performance of the Hyper-V host on which the virtual lab resides may decrease.
Once the verification process is complete, VMs from the application group are powered off. Optionally, you can leave the VMs from the application group running to perform manual testing or enable user-directed application item-level recovery.
In some cases, the SureBackup job schedule may overlap the schedule of the backup job linked to it. The backup file may be locked by the backup job and the SureBackup job will be unable to verify such backup. In this situation, Veeam Backup & Replication will not start the SureBackup job until the corresponding backup job is over.
To overcome the situation of job overlapping, you may chain the backup and SureBackup jobs or define the timeout period for the SureBackup job. For more information, see Specifying Job Schedule.
VMs from the application group and verified VMs must belong to the same platform — VMware or Hyper-V. Mixed scenarios are not supported.
- SureBackup Job Processing
- Creating SureBackup Job
- Starting and Stopping SureBackup Job
- Viewing Recovery Verification Job Statistics
- Creating SureBackup Session Reports