At the Target step of the wizard, define a target backup repository and retention policy settings:
- From the Backup repository list, select a backup repository where copied backups must be stored.
- In the Restore points to keep field, specify the number of restore points that must be retained on the target backup repository. The maximum number of restore points is 999.
When the specified number is exceeded, Veeam Backup & Replication removes the earliest restore point from the backup chain. For more information on how Veeam Backup & Replication retains the desired number of restore points, see Forever Forward Incremental Backup Retention Policy.
- To use the GFS (Grandfather-Father-Son) retention policy, select the Keep the following restore points as full backups for archival purposes check box. For more information, see GFS Retention Policy.
- In the fields below, specify the number of daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly full intervals for which backups must be retained.
- Click the Schedule button to define the schedule for creating GFS full backups.
- [For the periodic copy mode] Define the way to create archive full backups (backups that GFS policy retains):
- To copy data for archive full backups from the source backup repository and write this data to the archive full backup file, select the Read the entire restore point from source instead of synthesizing it from increments option.
In terms of Veeam Backup & Replication, the described method of creating archive full backups is known as active full. For more information, see Active Full Method.
- To synthesize archive full backups from restore points that already exist on the target backup repository, leave the Read the entire restore point from source instead of synthesizing it from increments option unselected.
In terms of Veeam Backup & Replication, the described method of creating archive full backups is known as synthetic full. For more information on methods and their limitations, see Synthetic Full Method.
You cannot enable GFS retention settings if you use a backup repository with rotated drives as the target backup repository.