Roles and Users
You can assign one of the following roles to users or groups of users who plan to work with Veeam Backup & Replication:
- Veeam Restore Operator
- Veeam Backup Viewer
- Veeam Backup Operator
- Veeam Backup Administrator
- Veeam Tape Operator
A role assigned to the user defines the user activity scope: what operations in Veeam Backup & Replication the user can perform. Role security settings affect the following operations:
- Starting and stopping jobs
- Performing restore operations
Users having different roles can perform a different set of operations:
Veeam Restore Operator
Can perform restore operations using existing backups and replicas. Mind that during restore, Veeam Restore Operator can overwrite existing instances: VMs during VM restore, disks during disk restore and files during file-level restore.
Veeam Backup Viewer
Has the “read-only” access to Veeam Backup & Replication. Can view existing jobs and review the job session details.
Veeam Backup Operator
Can start and stop existing jobs, export backups and create VeeamZip backups.
Veeam Backup Administrator
Can perform all administrative activities in Veeam Backup & Replication.
Veeam Tape Operator
Can manage tapes and perform the following operations: tape inventory, tape export, tape eject, tape catalog, inventory library, catalog library, rescan library, import tapes, eject tape from drive.
You can assign several roles to the same user. For example, if the user must be able to start jobs and perform restore operations, you can assign the Veeam Backup Operator and Veeam Restore Operator roles to this user.
Mind the following:
- The user account under which the Veeam Backup Service runs must have the Veeam Backup Administrator role. By default, during installation the Veeam Backup Administrator role is assigned to users in the Administrators group. If you change the default settings, make sure that you assign the Veeam Backup Administrator role to the necessary user account. It is recommended to assign the Veeam Backup Administrator role to the user account explicitly rather than the group to which the user belongs.
- Built-in administrator accounts (Domain\Administrator and Machine\Administrator) always have full access in Veeam Backup & Replication, even if you exclude them from all Veeam Backup & Replication roles.
To assign a role to the user or user group:
- From the main menu, select Users and Roles.
- Click Add.
- In the User or group field, enter a name of a user or user group in the DOMAIN\USERNAME format.
- From the Role list, select the necessary role to be assigned.