Capacity Tier is an additional tier of storage that can be attached to a Scale-Out Backup Repository. Capacity Tier moves applicable data from the SOBR extents to a cloud or to S3-compatible devices for long-term storage.
This feature is most useful if:
- You are running out of storage space.
- Your organization policies allow you to store only a certain amount of data on your extents, while the outdated data should be stored elsewhere.
Capacity Tier expands the scale-out backup repository abilities and allows you to store backup data in cloud-based object storage or S3-compatible on-premises storage, such as:
- S3-compatible devices
- Amazon S3
- Microsoft Azure Blob Storage
- Microsoft Azure Data Box devices
- IBM Cloud Object Storage
With Capacity Tier you can:
- Move inactive backup chains to object storage, as described in Moving Inactive Backup Chains to Object Storage.
- Copy new backup files as soon as these files are created, as described in Copying Backups to Object Storage.
- Download data that was moved from object storage back to the source extents, as described in Downloading Data from Object Storage.
Before you start using Capacity Tier, make sure to check the pricing plans of your cloud storage provider to avoid additional costs for offloading and downloading backup data.
In This Section