Step 8. Select Microsoft SQL Server Instance
The SQL Server Instance step of the wizard is available if you have selected to configure installation settings manually.
Veeam Backup & Replication stores data about the backup infrastructure, jobs, sessions and other configuration data on a Microsoft SQL Server database. The database instance can be located on a Microsoft SQL Server installed either locally (on the same machine where the backup server is running) or remotely.
Mind limitations and considerations in Before You Begin.
You can select a Microsoft SQL Server instance on which you want to deploy the configuration database, and choose the authentication mode.
- Select a Microsoft SQL Server instance:
- If a Microsoft SQL Server is not installed locally or remotely, select the Install new instance of SQL Server option. The setup will install Microsoft SQL Server locally on the backup server:
- For machines running Microsoft Windows 7 or Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2, the setup will install Microsoft SQL Server 2012 SP4 Express Edition.
- For machines running Microsoft Windows Server 2012 or later, the setup will install Microsoft SQL Server 2016 SP2 Express Edition.
- If a Microsoft SQL Server is already installed locally or remotely, select the Use existing instance of SQL Server option. Enter the instance name in the HOSTNAME\INSTANCE format. In the Database field, specify a name for the Veeam Backup & Replication configuration database.
- Select an authentication mode to connect to the Microsoft SQL Server instance: Microsoft Windows authentication or SQL Server authentication. If you select the SQL Server authentication, enter credentials for the Microsoft SQL Server account.
If the configuration database already exists on the Microsoft SQL Server instance (for example, it was created by a previous installation of Veeam Backup & Replication), the setup wizard will notify about it. To connect to the detected database, click Yes. If necessary, Veeam Backup & Replication will automatically upgrade the database to the latest version.