Veeam Backup & Replication allows you to prohibit deletion of data from object storage by making it immutable.
To make data immutable, Veeam Backup & Replication uses the Object Lock technology provided by Amazon and some S3-Compatible providers. Once imposed, the object lock prohibits deletion of data from object storage until the immutability expiration date is met. The value that defines the period after which the immutability expiration date occurs is specified when adding (or editing) an Amazon S3 or S3 Compatible object storage repository. For more information, see Adding Amazon S3 Object Storage and Adding S3 Compatible Object Storage, respectively.
The following operations cannot be performed on immutable data within the object storage:
- Manual removal of data, as described in Removing Backups from Object Storage Repository.
- Removal of data by the retention policy, as described in Retention Policy.
- Removal of data using any cloud service provider tools.
- Removal of data by the cloud service provider technical support department.
- Removal of data by the Remove deleted items data after option, as described in Maintenance Settings.
Immutable data is preserved as described in Block Generation.
For considerations and limitations on immutability, see Considerations and Limitations.