Veeam Software offers the following types of paid licenses for Veeam Backup & Replication:
- Subscription license — full license that expires at the end of the subscription term. The subscription license term is normally 1-3 years from the date of license issue.
- Rental license — full license with the license expiration date set according to the chosen rental program (normally 1-12 months from the date of license issue). The rental license can be automatically updated upon expiration.
Rental licenses are provided to Veeam Cloud & Service Provides (VCSPs) only. For more information, see the Rental License section in the Veeam Cloud Connect Guide.
- Perpetual license — permanent full license. The perpetual license term is normally 10 years from the date of license issue. The support and maintenance period included with the license is specified in months or years. Typically, one year of basic support and maintenance is included with the perpetual license.
The following terms apply to Veeam Backup & Replication paid licenses:
[For per-VM licenses] After upgrade to Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 Update 4, you must obtain and install on the backup server a new per-instance license. To ensure a smooth license update procedure, Veeam Backup & Replication offers you a 90-day grace period after the product is upgraded. During this period, you can continue processing workloads with an old per-VM license.
Mind that during the 90-day grace period the license status in the License Information window will be displayed as Expired (<number> days of grace period remaining). If you do not install a new license after the grace period expires, you will not be able to process workloads (existing jobs will fail with the Error status).
In addition to paid licenses, Veeam Backup & Replication offers two types of free per-instance licenses:
- Evaluation license — license used for product evaluation. The evaluation license is valid for 30 days from the moment of product download.
- NFR license — license used for product demonstration, training and education. The person to whom the license is provided agrees that the license is not for resell or commercial use.