You can view properties of each tape registered in Veeam database. The tapes may be online or offline. The Properties window shows location, capacity, name and other properties of the selected tape.
The capacity of the tape is identified by the tape device where the tape is located. You can also view the capacity of a tape in your tape device console (or in the Microsoft Windows Device Manager for tapes that are in drives).
The name of the tape is generated automatically during tape importing. If your tape device supports barcodes, Veeam Backup & Replication will use the barcodes to identify the tapes and display the barcode as the Name property of the tape. If a tape does not have a barcode, Veeam Backup & Replication will automatically create the tape name using the pattern 'Tape N'.
If necessary, you can change the name of a tape:
- Open the Tape Infrastructure view.
- Navigate to the list of tapes either under the Media Pools or under the Libraries > LibraryName node > Media > Online/Offline.
- Select the tape you want to rename and click Properties on the ribbon. Alternatively, you can right-click the tape and choose Properties.
- Change tape name and description as required.
- Click OK to save changes.
If you manage several tape libraries on the same Veeam backup server and use barcodes to identify tapes in these libraries, make sure that all barcodes are unique. If some tapes have identical barcodes, Veeam Backup & Replication may fail to manage them correctly.