You can use ExaGrid appliances as backup repositories.
ExaGrid uses adaptive deduplication. Data deduplication is performed on the target storage system. After VM data is written to disk, ExaGrid analyses bytes in the newly transferred data portions. ExaGrid compares versions of data over time and stores only the differences to disk.
ExaGrid deduplicates data at the storage level. Identical data is detected throughout the whole storage system, which increases the deduplication ratio.
To communicate with ExaGrid, Veeam Backup & Replication uses two Veeam Data Movers that are responsible for data processing and transfer:
- Veeam Data Mover on the backup proxy
- Veeam Data Mover on the ExaGrid appliance
ExaGrid does not host Veeam Data Mover permanently. When any task addresses an ExaGrid storage, Veeam Backup & Replication deploys and starts the Veeam Data Mover on the ExaGrid appliance.
Veeam Data Mover establishes a connection with Veeam Data Mover on the backup proxy, enabling efficient data transfer over LAN or WAN.
Requirements and Recommendations for ExaGrid
To perform backup to ExaGrid appliances, it is recommended to configure backup repositories and jobs in the following way:
Configure ExaGrid backup repositories in the following way:
- Create at least one share on each ExaGrid appliance. Enable the ExaGrid-Veeam Accelerated Data Mover transport option for the created share. Leave default compression and deduplication settings for the share.
When adding credentials for ExaGrid, use only lower case symbols for the user name.
- In Veeam Backup & Replication, perform the following actions:
- Configure ExaGrid backup repositories and point them at the created shares on each ExaGrid appliance. Set the Limit maximum concurrent tasks to N option to 10 tasks. This limit can be tuned up or down with assistance from ExaGrid Customer Support.
When you add ExaGrid servers to the Veeam backup infrastructure, and you use the UPN format for an Active Directory account user name (for example, firstname.lastname@example.org), make sure you enter the user name in lowercase letters only.
- Add ExaGrid backup repositories as extents to a scale-out backup repository.
Configure backup jobs in the following way:
- Backup job settings:
- Use the forward incremental backup method.
- Enable synthetic full backups and schedule them to run on a weekly basis.
- Enable active full backups and schedule them to run on a monthly basis.
- Backup target: Assign backup jobs to the scale-out backup repository with ExaGrid appliances as extents.
Do not create multiple backup repositories directed at the same folder/path on the same device.
For more information and recommendations on working with ExaGrid, see this Veeam KB article.