When you restore data from an encrypted backup, Veeam Backup & Replication performs data decryption automatically in the background or requires you to specify a password.
- If encryption keys required to unlock the backup file are available in the configuration database, you do not need to specify the password. Veeam Backup & Replication uses keys from the database to unlock the backup file. Data decryption is performed in the background, and data restore from the encrypted backup does not differ from that from an unencrypted one.
Automatic backup file decryption is performed if the following conditions are met:
- You encrypt and decrypt the backup file on the same backup server that uses the same configuration database.
- The backup is not removed from the Veeam Backup & Replication console.
- If encryption keys are not available in the configuration database, you can restore data from the encrypted backup with the following methods:
- You can provide a password or a set of passwords to unlock an encrypted file. For more information, see Decrypting Data with Password.
- You can use Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager to unlock an encrypted file without a password. For more information, see Decrypting Data Without Password.
In This Section