Before You Begin
Before you configure the backup job, check the following prerequisites:
- The target location where you plan to store backup files must have enough free space.
- When you configure the backup job with the Backup Job wizard, Veeam Agent creates the job with default advanced settings: compression level and data block size. To specify these parameters explicitly, you should create a backup job with the command line interface.
- [For Veeam Backup & Replication repository targets] You can store created backups in a backup repository only if the backup server runs Veeam Backup & Replication 12.0 or later.
- [For Veeam Backup & Replication repository targets] If you plan to use a Veeam Backup & Replication repository as a target for backups, you must pre-configure user access permissions on this backup repository. To learn more, see Setting Up User Permissions on Backup Repositories.
Backup has the following limitations:
- You cannot save the backup of entire computer on the local computer disk. Use an external hard drive or USB drive, network shared folder or backup repository as a target location.
- Veeam Agent does not back up data to which symbolic links are targeted. It only backs up the path information that the symbolic links contain. After restore, identical symbolic links are created in the restore destination.
- Keep in mind that Veeam Agent stops running the backup job after 21 days (504 hours).
The Backup Job wizard window comprises the following areas:
- The navigation pane, located on the left of the window, displays the list of wizard steps and currently selected step of the wizard
- The working area displays controls relating to a specific step of the wizard.
- The buttons area, located at the bottom of the window, displays buttons that you can use to switch between steps of the wizard (Previous and Next) and close the wizard (Cancel and Finish).
In the Backup Job wizard, the use of a mouse is not supported. To navigate the Backup Job wizard and associated dialog windows, you can use the following keys:
- Tab — to switch between displayed controls in the working area and buttons in the buttons area. The currently selected control or button is highlighted with a green color.
- Up and Down — to switch between items in a scrollable list.
- Space — to select the necessary item in a list. The selected item's mark may vary in different steps of the wizard.
- Enter — to proceed to the next step of the wizard or to open a directory.
- Backspace — to return to the previous step of a wizard.
- Escape — to cancel the backup job configuration and exit the wizard.
You can switch between steps of the Backup Job wizard in two ways. The easier and more comfortable way is to use the Enter key to proceed to the next step and Backspace key to return to the previous step of the wizard. You can also use the Tab key to select the Next or Previous button in the buttons area and then press Enter to switch to the next or previous step of the wizard respectively.