Backup to Object Storage
If you want to store your data in a cloud-based or on-premises storage, you can connect to the cloud storage service and create Veeam Agent backups in the object storage repositories provided by this service.
You can store Veeam Agent backups in the following types of object storage:
- Amazon S3
- Google Cloud
- Microsoft Azure Blob
- S3 compatible (including Wasabi Cloud and IBM Cloud)
Depending on your backup infrastructure, object storage can be available in different configurations. To learn more, see the following subsections:
You can back up Veeam Agent computer data to an external cloud storage in the following ways:
- Directly to object storage. In this case, Veeam Agent connects to an object storage account and creates a backup repository in this storage.
Keep in mind that to connect to object storage, you need to have an account with access permissions to read and write data.
Consider the following:
To learn more, see Object Storage Settings.
- To object storage added as a Veeam backup repository. In this case, Veeam Agent connects to the Veeam backup repository and Veeam Backup & Replication connects to object storage and creates a backup repository in this storage.
To learn more, see Veeam Backup Repository Settings.
- To object storage added as a Veeam Cloud Connect repository. In this case, Veeam Agent connects to the cloud backup repository and Veeam Backup & Replication connects to the object storage and creates a backup repository in this storage.
To learn more, see Veeam Cloud Connect Repository Settings.
Types of Connection to Object Storage in Veeam Backup & Replication
If you back up data to object storage added as a Veeam backup repository or Veeam Cloud Connect repository, you must configure a repository beforehand on the Veeam Backup & Replication side. Depending on the repository configuration, Veeam Backup & Replication provides one of the following connection types to the repository in the object storage:
- Connection through a gateway server. With this connection type, Veeam Agent connects to the repository using a proxy component — a gateway server that is assigned in the Veeam Backup & Replication console. The backup data is transferred from the Veeam Agent computer to the gateway server, then it is transferred from the gateway server to the repository.
- Direct connection. With this connection type, Veeam Agent connects directly to the repository. The backup data is transferred from the Veeam Agent computer to the repository without proxy components. The access to this repository is managed by Application Programming Interface (API) that is provided by the cloud service provider.
If you want to back up your data directly to an S3 compatible storage, you must additionally specify access permissions for the storage. For direct access, enable the Agents share credentials to object storage repository or the Provided by IAM/STS object storage capabilities option. For more information, see Managing Permissions for S3 Compatible Object Storage.