Skip this step if you are not planning to use the vCenter Connection Failover feature or if you have the Enterprise license edition (Enterprise Plus edition is required for vCenter connection failover).
After you install the Veeam MP for VMware components, the Veeam VMware Collector: vCenter connection failover errors and warnings alert will be fired in the Ops Mgr console:
The Veeam VMware Direct ESX(i) Connection Account is required for the vCenter Connection Failover feature implemented to allow VMware vSphere hosts and VMs monitoring to continue, even if vCenter Server goes offline. For more details about vCenter Connection Failover, refer to section vCenter Connection Failover.
To configure the Veeam VMware Direct ESX(i) Connection Account:
- Open the Ops Mgr console using the account with administrative rights.
- Go to the Administration section.
- Expand the Run As Configuration node and select Profiles.
- In the list of profiles, double-click the inbuilt Veeam VMware Direct ESX(i) Connection Account.
- Click Next to begin the Run As Profile Wizard.
- At the Add Run As Accounts step, click Add.
- In the Add a Run As Account window, click New and follow the Create Run As Account Wizard to create a new Run As account:
- At the General Properties step, choose Basic Authentication as the account type. Specify the account display name and description.
- At the Credentials step, specify user name and password that will be used for direct-to-host connections.
You can create several Run As accounts, but only the first one will be used for connection to managed vSphere hosts. For this reason, the specified credentials must be the same for ALL vCenter managed ESX(i) hosts in your environment (even hosts in different vCenter Servers).
- At the Distribution Security step, choose the necessary distribution security level. If you choose the More secure level, you will need to manually distribute the account credentials to the machine where the VE Service runs (in case of the single-server installation, this is the machine where all Veeam MP for VMware components are installed).
- Click Create to save the account.
- Click Save to save the profile.
To distribute the specified account credentials to the machine where the VE Service runs:
- Open the Ops Mgr console using the account with administrative rights. Go to the Administration section.
- Expand the Run As Configuration node and select Accounts.
- Double-click the created Run As account.
- In the Run As Account Properties window, open the Distribution tab.
- Click Add, search and add the machine where the VE Service runs.
The vCenter connection failover script is run under the Agent Action Account for the agent on the Veeam Virtualization Extensions server. For the script to function properly, this Agent Action Account should also be a member of the Veeam Virtualization Extensions Users local group on the server.
Please keep in mind that the vCenter connection failover feature will not work if you use Local System as the default Agent Action Account.